M25, M1 in morning rush hour? - PoloGirl
Going to Bedford soon and need to be there by 9:30am at the latest.

If we leave Winchester at 7am (that's the earliest we can leave for a number of reasons), which would be the route most likely to get us there in good time?

AA routemaster says M3, M25, M1 would be quicker than A34, across the M40 and cross country, but I'm a bit twitchy about what the M25 will be like if we hit it shortly before 8am and whenever I've done the end of the M3 onto the M25 at that time it's been deathly slow once you get past Camberley. So I'm thinking the longer route might be better overall.

Any thoughts? We'll take a sat nav so can detour but would quite like to get it right first time!

M25, M1 in morning rush hour? - Avant
Hi - M25 clockwise is better than anti-clockwise at that time, but you're still dependent on nobody hitting anyone else for want of anything better to do. Also they are still interminably digging up the M1 from the M25 junction to J10.

I agree - A34, across M40, round Bicester and via A4421 to A421 eastbound which will bypass Buckingham and M Keynes to Bedford. The only bad bit is the roundabout getting over the M1.

As the Irish would say - don't start at Winchester....
M25, M1 in morning rush hour? - Steve Pearce
The M3/M25 c/w is often OK but depends on what day you are trevelling. Monday morning is always the worst, Friday is often quite an easy trip.
M25, M1 in morning rush hour? - DP
I do M3/M25 c/w every day.

M3 J4-2 will take you about 40 minutes after 7:30 on any morning, apart from Fridays which are far quieter for some reason.

I have never been seriously held up clockwise on the M25 between J12 and J16 apart from the odd big accident. J16 to J21 is far worse anti-clock than clockwise in the morning rush. The M1 itself can be sticky at the bottom.

To be honest, I would use the A34 route if I were you. Apart from being a little slow past Oxford (on the ring road section), it's generally moving, and only an A34 accident is likely to give you any problems.

Cheers
DP

M25, M1 in morning rush hour? - oldnotbold
If the A34 is bad, it's really bad. The section from M4 J13 to M40 can be fine, or really horrible, just leave early. Tends to be worse S bound in the am, though.

If you get advanced warning of the A34 N bound being bad you can take the B4009 by leaving at Chievley just N of J13, and go through Hermitage, Streatley and onto the Wallingford bypass. Then go towards Thame for the M40 J8.