Idle thoughts on new road tax. - barney100
I was going to update my car which would be a decent profit for a dealer. With the new road tax coming in I have changed my mind as the old car will save me a good bit bit on road tax as time goes by and still runs ok.
My neighbour has a similar car to mine but newer and I guess much more carbon efficient yet he will pay more tax than me.
My daughter needs a largish car to get the pushchairs and general tackle needed for a young family in. She will have to fork out for the extra tax and it seems daft to me. There must be many young families who need people carriers or estates just to get around, if they must bring in this new tax regime at least give young families a rebate on it.
Idle thoughts on new road tax. - gordonbennet
Sorry can't agree with you Barney.

Managed to bring up and carry round my own children without a people carrier.

Things were just as bad then, and to make ends meet meant i had to do at least 3 jobs covering something like 80 to 100 hours a week, thats what i and many others did.

Could your daughter find a pre 01 volvo estate or similar, more space than the tardis, and in diesel form surprisingly economical.
Idle thoughts on new road tax. - Alby Back
If more young mums gave up their cars and used their feet or bicycles to get children to school and themselves to the shops, they and their families would be fitter. Traffic congestion would be significantly reduced and they would save the cost of second cars, thus easily offsetting the cost of shopping locally........ Simple..........................just got to persuade my wife now !

;-)
Idle thoughts on new road tax. - doctorchris
People carriers are now pretty much essential if you have 3 or more children simply because of child seat laws which can make it impossible to seat 3 children across the back seat of most cars. It's hard to find light push chairs these days, they're all built like tanks.
You used to get away with a lot more a few years back. I remember days out in Wales where we got 2 families of 5 in my Volvo 740 Estate and a run to see a relative in hospital in London with 9 people in a 7 seat Ford Maverick. I just would not risk that nowadays.
In addition, many small cars that would have carried 5 people all with seat belts now only have 4 belts, my New Fiat Panda is an example. My wife used to have the old Panda which was fine for carrying her and our 3 children in 1988.
In addition, someone help the working man who used to have a van for his job and then carried the family around in it at the weekend. The Continentals have the right idea here where the tradesman runs a van based car, eg a Berlingo or Doblo, which can double as a van and a family car.
As a Fiat fan, I think the best bargain around is a 7 seat Diesel engined Doblo bought from an internet discounter but these days looks, image and fashion are rated as important as well.

Edited by Webmaster on 04/05/2008 at 23:44

Idle thoughts on new road tax. - PoloGirl
>People carriers are now pretty much essential if you have 3 or more children

Are three or more children essential though? ;-)
Idle thoughts on new road tax. - stunorthants26
Quite, as I understand it, 'protection' isnt expensive but road tax is, so why not spend a little save alot and have just two children.
If you have more than that, its a personal choice. If you had ten children, you would have to get a minibus, but whos fault would that be?
Idle thoughts on new road tax. - doctorchris
Ah now, we are into a contentious area. I have 3 children and all I want to say is that I did not want this size of brood but my wife gave me no choice. Make of that what you will.
We have an ageing population that needs young people to pay tax and care for our elderly, we cannot rely on immigrants, the Poles who came over are already moving on.
I think I've revealed too much of myself already so I'll shut up now.
Idle thoughts on new road tax. - stunorthants26
The point is that you have the choice about how many kids you have and if one or other wants more kids than will fit in a small car, thats their choice.
Idle thoughts on new road tax. - jbif
People carriers are now pretty much essential if you have 3 or more children

I question only the use of the word "essential".

But I accept we live in a free society where we are free to decide whether to have 3 or more children, and whether to drive a Hummer or Bamber Gascoine's G-Whizz, regardless of the number of children we have. We exercise the choice, and we pay the money.

Long may it remain that way.

Edited by jbif on 04/05/2008 at 19:43

Idle thoughts on new road tax. - AdrianM
"Are three or more children essential though? ;-)"

Smiley duly noted but......

Yes, if you ever want to retire!
Idle thoughts on new road tax. - PhilW
For up to 3 kids how about the Berlingo/Partner/Kangoo/Doblo type?? - road tax quite low depending on model, 3 separate seats in back, and thay all have surprisingly capacious boots, economical diesels or petrols available. Plenty of used at decent prices also. They aren't that bad to drive either - and if you are concerned about kids safety and comfort you are unlikely to be flinging them round corners.
Mind you, our 2 kids were raised "in a Renault 5" - though I have to admit that we had to buy a trailer to put the camping gear in when we went to Greece! Seems that a mojor problem these days is the "4x4 pushchairs" why do they have to be so huge with off-road tyres etc - suppose its fashion/status symbol like having a 4x4 to take kids to school?