97 1.9TD - How To Replace Glow Plugs? - burnt01
I've had a few starting problems with my 1.9 TD. After reading up on all the common faults i didnt really think it was the glow plugs, and after some checks it turned out to be the start relay. I've replaced the relay but it's still a little slow on startup so as glowplugs are cheap i've bought a set.
Now how the hell do you fit them!?! i've done the so called easy ones but theres 2 behind the fuel pump and its so pushed for space i can't even seem to get a wrench on them!
Please Help

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/04/2008 at 19:56

97 1.9 How To Replace Glow Plugs In A 406 1.9 TD - thomp1983
a short spanner and alot of patience usually does it, and possibly remove the intercooler for access (presume it's top mounted like other psa cars excluding xantia, not actually seen one in a 406) if you do remove then fit a new intercooler gasket where it joins the inlet manifold, depends how flexible you are.

chris

Edited by thomp1983 on 28/04/2008 at 18:17

97 1.9 How To Replace Glow Plugs In A 406 1.9 TD - burnt01
Thanks for the reply. At least now i know im not trying the impossible! I've invested in a ratchet spanner to make life a little easier! i'll give it a go once it comes through. Thanks again
97 1.9 How To Replace Glow Plugs In A 406 1.9 TD - topbloke
have fun!!!!! we ended up cutting a cheap spanner welding it on to a long piece of steel and using that the main thing is patience and not loseing your rag
97 1.9 How To Replace Glow Plugs In A 406 1.9 TD - thomp1983
a ratchet spanner may not help, to remove them you end up doing it one turn at a time and as you pull the ratchet back for the next turn it usually brings the plug back with it.

oddly enough the 12mm spanner i use for the job came from a £1 shop set i bought randomly it's about 3 inches long and does the job well

chris
97 1.9 How To Replace Glow Plugs In A 406 1.9 TD - glowplug
I found a deep off set ring spanner helped behind the injection pump along with a magnetic pick probe from a pound shop - saves dropping the nuts. Did you buy quality plugs? It's not the sort of job you want to do often.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=12018&...e

Steve.
97 1.9 How To Replace Glow Plugs In A 406 1.9 TD - burnt01
the ratchet spanner i got was for removing glow plugs. Its a 12mm one end and 8mm on the other. Its also a double offset at 300mm long made by laser (can get it from halfords). It's arrived today so i'll give it my best tomorrow and see how it goes. The plugs aren't the best in the world, but to be honest im really strapped for cash (how sad) but i don't mind putting the time in, so if i can learn to do it once, im sure i can do it again.

Thanks for all you help on this, It's good to be on a forum that's so helpful