Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - morellomax
I've had my 2.2tdci S-Max for a week or so now. The engine is basically the same as in recent Peugeots and Citroens, but as far as I can tell from official Ford press releases and also from peering into the engine compartment, it uses a single turbo rather than the twin sequential turbos, though it still hits 175bhp max.

It's mostly smooth, powerful and quiet, but it seems to have an annoying fault. On light throttle, at up to 2000 rpm or so, it can lose power in an abrupt way, as if the turbo were shutting off completely. The fault is easily reproduceable, always under the same conditions.

I suspect bodged mapping by Ford, when they tried to implement the single turbo conversion.

Anyone else driven a 2.2tdci in an S-Max or Mondeo yet ? Experienced the same problem ?
Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - Armitage Shanks {p}
I wasn't aware that the turbo did much/anything below 2000 rpm. I am sure screwloose will be along soon to enlighten me!
Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - mustangman
Just a thought.

I bought a Focus 1.6 tdci just over 3 years ago.

It occasionally does what you describe, ie: on a light throttle, at about 17-1800 revs it suddenly "gasps" as if no fuel is being supplied. It will pick up with more throttle etc. or by itself. Feels like a misfire would in a petrol engine.
I lodged the fault very early, and to be fair the dealer replaced the throttle sensor and the egr valve, as well as loading the latest ecu software.
The main problem was that it just would not do it with the service engineer or manager in the car. ( sods law ! )
I believe this is a calibration issue, which Ford would undoutably know about but did not manage to fix.
I've learned to live with it.

My advice, go to the dealer and be persistant.
Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - Taff Jones
Just picked 1 up yesterday and the Engine Man Light came on after filling up (50Miles on the clock). Took it to Ford on my way to dover @ 1700Hrs and they put it on the computer and cleared the fault. Stopped again to fuel up and the light came on again when it was restarted. I went back to Ford who told me I would have to leave it with them as all the Technicians had gone home. I was on my way to Germany and needed to get back. They said I could risk it as there was no obvious problems with the car. 500 miles down, light still on, no problems with the vehicle, off to Ford on Monday(garages in Germany are closed due to bank holidays) hopefully Technicians over here will actually investigate instead of just clearing the ECU.
Just reporting back that a source inside Ford tells me they acknowledge there is a mapping fault on this 2.2 175ps engine in potentially all S-Maxes / Mondeos / Galaxies built so far, and that a fix should be available via dealers within 60 days tops.

Shame about this problem - spoils a cracking engine / vehicle combination.
An update for 2.2 owners coming across this thread who still have the problem: your dealer needs to do a "symptom based diagnosis" and describe the problem as "hesitation" occurring "intermittently" during "acceleration". Like some ancient spell, those magic words will prompt your dealer's diagnostic system to offer revised PCM software for downloading. I've had mine updated and it pulls at least as strongly, but now without a hiccough.
Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - DP
Good grief, don't manufacturers test their products any more? A major software bug like this should have been picked up during QA testing, surely.
Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - Jase
SNIP - See next post

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/10/2008 at 01:25

Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - Jase
Scrap this - I have just seen a thread by Cheddar asking this very question!

Mods - Is there an edit button anywhere where you can edit/delete your posts?
Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - Dynamic Dave
Mods - Is there an edit button anywhere where you can edit/delete your posts?

Everyone has had an edit button for quite a while now. It is operational for 5 mins after posting, or until someone has replied to your post (whichever is sooner)

DD.

ps, I removed your post (should be obvious though)
Problem with new 2.2 tdci S-Max - cheddar
Scrap this - I have just seen a thread by Cheddar asking this very question!

Interesting, I had not seen this thread before and it was resurrected after my post asking about experiences with both versions of the engine.

To the OP, re your comment about Ford converting the engine to single turbo, the original design specs for the engine family presented by Ford/PSA quoted two 175 bhp versions, twin turbo and variable vane single turbo (plus a 150 bhp version as used in the Freelander and a couple with commercial applications).

As it happens Ford actually quote slightly more power for the variable vane single turbo, it is easy to confuse PS and bhp though Ford quote 129KW and Peugeot 125KW.