Debris in Road - Saltrampen
Friend of mine has just learned she had a fracture in her backbone after hitting debris in the road (lots of wood panels). She could have easily been paralysed as the accident happened on a Dual carriageway.
I am curious to know what the penalty is for losing a load or part load on the road especially if it results in a serious accident.
I've heard of drivers using mobiles getting prison sentences if they are involved in a serious accident, do drivers who do not secure their load and cause a fatality get a similar sentence?

Debris in Road - rich66
If there's debris in the road it's best to drive round it or use the brakes.
Debris in Road - Dwight Van Driver
Reg 100 Motor Vehicles (Con and Use) Regs 1986 deals with the offence of insecure loads on motor vehicles.

The Penalty is at Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 Max fine £5,000 if committed by a goods vehicle, £2,500 any other- discretionary disqualification and 3 points.

dvd
Debris in Road - FotheringtonThomas
the offence of insecure loads on motor vehicles.

DVD, is a load shed by definition in law an insecure one (is there a defence if so)?

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 18/04/2008 at 15:23

Debris in Road - Dwight Van Driver
F.T.

The offence at law:

Reg 100 MV (Con and Use) Regs 1986

A MV, every trailer drawn thereby and all parts and accessories shall at all times be such

that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to ANY person

in or on the vehicle or trailer, OR ON A ROAD, by reason of

weight,distribution, packing and adjustment of load.

The load shall be so secured by physical restraint and be in such position that

neither danger nor nuisance is likely to be caused to any person or property

by reason on the load moving or being blown of falling from the vehicle.

If it drops off, absolute offence. If it stays on the vehicle and flaps about i.e. likely to hit a passing car, pedestrian - offence. Gravel lorries laden high, spewing stones over the back whilst on the move - offence.

You get the picture.

dvd
If it drops off absolute offence. If it stays on the vehicle and flaps about (& gravel)
You get the picture.

OK, ta.
Not sure about (whethere there's any) penatly for losing a load, but there is one for carrying an "unsafe" (various ways) load.

However, I do wish that there was a penalty for not looking where you're going. See:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=60...#

The wheel, pile of debris boards/panels, etc., could have been a person or another crash in the road, the end of a tailback, something broken down.. or the crash could have caused the crashing person to smash into someone else.
Debris in Road - DP
The only time this has ever happened to me, the offending object (a fence post) came arcing through the air (from the Lord only knows where) and put a dent the size of a fist in my front wing. Had it been a foot to the left, it would have come up the bonnet and through the windscreen.

It's terrifying, and not always caused by poor observation.

Cheers
DP
It's terrifying and not always caused by poor observation.

Perhaps not - but in the vast majority of collisions with objects in the road, I should say that it is. Your flying fence-post seems to fall into a different catehory, where I'd also put things falling off bridges, vehicles coming in from side roads, things actually falling off lorries into the path of a directly following (too close?) car - but not hitting a thing that's been stationary in the road for a while, or inside reasonable stopping distance.
Debris in Road - Westpig
I know this will sound like a 'clever dick' comment, but here goes anyway.

Most of the time, although i'd admit not always, you create your own luck.

Last year whilst nipping along the M25 near Heathrow...(yes...one of the few occasions it was flowing freely)... my wife queried why i suddenly tried to get out of the queue in the o/s lane.. and it was because a transit pick up had pulled out of a middle lane into my safety zone and instead of backing off i went left urgently. I told her that at that speed anything insecure in the back was going to blow out..

and I kid you not, as i finished saying it something enormous and plastic looking reared up, seemed to hover for a second and then flew violently backwards

Debris in Road - gpmartin
Just out of interest, where was this? I had to do some interesting wood-dodging on the A38 just north of Derby yesterday, and I wonder if it was the same incident.
Debris in Road - David Horn
Driving up the M4 in February I came across lots of pieces of wood in the middle of the carriageway. Bit further on I was passing an open back lorry when a piece of wood came arcing out of the back. I swerved into the empty 3rd lane and it missed me by a couple of feet.

I chased the lorry driver for a bit, sounding the horn, and pointing to his load (which was still shedding all over the road) and got no response.
Debris in Road - commerdriver
DVD et al - is this the sort of thing that would be worth stopping at a motorway phone to let the police know? I would think it would or should be if it is not.
Debris in Road - Saltrampen
The incident happened on a section of Dual Carriageway in Cornwall, the truck shed its load only seconds before travelling at 70 ish mph, it filled a whole lane so very difficult to avoid as laying flat just over the brow of a hill. Also it was dark.
I have some loads in flat bed trucks where no attempt has been made to secure the load, so it only takes high speed and/or a windy day to cause a problem.
To be fair to the police a week later they (VOSA & Police) were pulling over all large vehicles on the same stretch of road to check for infrigements. My point is that if using a phone and causing an accident is sometimes a imprisonable offence, should other offences where the driver is blatantly negligent by treated the same way?

Debris in Road - Lud
One of the more terrifying sights on the road is a big stone between the twin rear tyres of a fast-moving Murphy (or similar) truck. Always makes me back right off.

A few months ago on a stormy night I ran over a big tree branch on the A24 just outside Dorking. It made the crack in my car's windscreen much worse and damaged the front number plate (which still passed the MoT however) but greatly to my relief did no other damage at all.

Small objects are the worst. A bolt or something pierced my Plymouth's radiator in Nebraska and led to a lot of barked knuckles, filth, slow driving and general redneck stuff. And the windscreen of my Dyane fell into my lap in the outside lane of the M1. I hadn't even seen a projectile.
Debris in Road - Pugugly
Yes - I nearly came to grief a few years ago on the bike, came round a bend two up, length of 2x2, swerved to avoid it but the front wheel caught it it flew up and arced over us....that was brown trouser moment and I nearly took up smoking on the spot. I must admire posters who reckon they could avoid debris in the road under all circumstances. I wish I had their reactions.
Debris in Road - Westpig
the bike makes you more vulnerable doesn't it... couple of years back M5 southbound near Exeter services saw a wheel nut come off a lorry... and watched mesmerised whilst it bounced down the carriageway like of one Barnes Wallis's creations.

was worried it would hit my head, but it didn't....it went right through the lens of the bike's headlamp..which miraculously still worked...(cost me £105 for a second hand replacement though.. and i've now got a plastic lens cover as well)

have had cars throw grit up off the road..and even with decent leathers that can still hurt if the stone/pebble is big enough
I must admire posters who reckon they could avoid debris in the road under all
circumstances. I wish I had their reactions.

I am not saying that it is possible to "avoid debris in the road under all circumstances". Just the vast majority. Once upon a time, for instance, I ran over a squashed staw bale in the road, at night, while riding an old motorbike quite fast. It could've been someone, or something not quite so soft (although it wasn't *that* soft - I was nearly launched into orbit by the impact) in the road - that learned me, that did, as they say.
Debris in Road - Alby Back
There was a great story in the wee village where I used to live in the Scottish Borders. One of our neighbours was a normally gentle but absolute giant of a man who was a truck driver. Picture the Incredible Hulk with normal skin tone. For the purposes of his privacy I shall temporarily call him Fred. Fred had a regular Friday run to Yorkshire and back which he had timed to perfection as it would only just fit on his tacho hours for a day. On his return one Friday night and only 20 miles from his first pint of the weekend, he was blocked by a logging lorry which had shed its load in front of him. Well he says he does his best to help the other guy sort things out but realises that he can't now get back to his depot that night. He strangely though, doesn't turn up until Saturday night. When questioned about this in the snug he reveals that he has spent a bit of time at the police station. Asked why, he mutters something about having "shaken" the other driver. Disbelief that such a minor altercation would involve the Police ensues. The full story comes out that "well I went to have a word wi' him and he locks himself in the cab so I took one of his flippin logs, shoved it through his windae, dragged him oot, and then I shook him!"
Debris in Road - Tim Allcott
When I did my RAC ACU course (yes, I'm that old) we were told to drive as though there was a brick wall round every corner. Absolutely correct, but few people (including me) do.
Debris in Road - Chrome
Yesterday I was out with the dustpan and brush sweeping up several smashed bottles covering the road outside where I work. Like to think that I saved someone from potential grief.....................
Debris in Road - SteVee
It is different on a bike.

On one occasion, a car from the opposite direction lost its wheel trim, and this came scything towards me. I remember thinking that I didn't have much protection if it changed direction into me.

On another occasion, I was riding a scooter when a house-brick appeared between the wheels of the car in front - they had not problems missing it, but the scooter hit it full on.
It was not pleasant - but I did manage to stay on. I do wonder what happened in the car behind me.

Westpig's point of staying out of trouble is very valid. I hate following cars that have several pushbikes strapped on the back.
Debris in Road - Pugugly
several pushbikes strapped on the back.

And me, not least that often they cover the rear lights and plates - yet another risk factor.
Debris in Road - bathtub tom
'Twas a dark and stormy night', well, it was raining, and I was on a m'bike behind a 6V headlamp (anybody who did an RAC/ACU course will know what they're like). I saw what I thought was a brick in the road. Too late to avoid it, you hit the brakes, but release them just before impact. It was a soggy cardboard box!
Debris in Road - Pugugly
Yes I did an RAC/ACU course and had a bike with 6 volt electrics.
Debris in Road - Kiwi Gary
One of my more frightening moments was when driving a Mini and an oncoming flatbed truck sent one of its 6" X 6" packing pieces off sideways just before we passed. I have no idea how I reacted so quickly, but they do say that time stands still. I had time to guess the trajectory, and swerve right to head under the end of the tray. [ People as old as me may remember publicity photos of Minis parked under truck trays.] Still in the air, this lump actually bounced off my LH front tyre and into the grass. I stopped forthwith to see whether I had any damage, but none immediately apparent. Next working day the Mini went into the local suspension shop for a full check-over.

Worrisome, but less frightening, was when I was following a car when its bonnet took off. As in - flew up like a glider to about 50 ft, then banked quietly over and dived into the nearby stream. The road concerned was a known habitat for young gentleman who liked to work on their cars and then test their work before finally buttoning things down.
Debris in Road - ifithelps
Rear number plate flew off an artic I was following - it flapped around in the air a bit then clouted my front valance.

Left a scuff mark, not much else.

Wrote to the comany, not for compo, just for a bit of a moan.

They said they couldn't trace the journey from their records.

So if you ever want to nick a lorry, make sure it's an Asda one, they haven't a clue where any of them are.
Debris in Road - grumpyscot
Was overtaking a truck on the M9 - a half brick was caught between the outer and inner offside tyres - brick came loose, bounced, hit and smashed my front passenger window, when whizzing past the back of my head, hit the piller behind me and landed on the rear passenger floor-well.

Yes -I needed new trousers after that!
Debris in Road - dxp55
two things stick in my mind - first -years and years ago in Birmingham outside Lewis's -in them days the railways at new street station had those three wheeler trucks that pulled a trailer - was sitting on my scooter in line of traffic when just happened to look round and saw one of these -it had just come round corner and a big plank was hanging out over side by about 4-5ft just ducked in time as it went past on near side -
Second was blasting down M1 in Zodiac at night - light's on cars in them days wasn't that good and suddenly I went over a load of black stuff - made car bounce and buck a bit - 10 min later on radio a message for motorists on M1 - a lorry has shed it's load of coal - I knew where as well.
Debris in Road - Hamsafar
One of the worse things I saw was a rigid flatbed carrying those preformed steel mesh barriers you get around building sites, somehow, they slid off sideways on a bend like a horizontal cascade and then stayed there held by the strap like a giant blade across the pavement the lorry's suspension was way down on that side and if anybody had been walking along, they may have been cut in half - it was a 50mph road..
Debris in Road - MrWednesday
Have one / some of these stories.
M74 North bound after Abington. Large truck kicking up road metal, considerately dropped from I assume dump trucks doing work further up the carriageway. Result, large bang - the change of trouser vareity. However, as it was early morning, and the light not brilliant, I didn't think it prudent to stop and walk round as all the important bits still worked properly.

Got to work, cursory check check of door, bonnet etc and found no damage. Shook my head, and wondered how such a large bang could have caused no damage.

Three days later in full light, I noticed that the A pillar / lip of the door frame had a dent in it I could place my fist in. All it needed was to have been a foot over and I'm pretty sure I would have got it in the face.

Then of course there was the bolt thrown up at the Xantia I used to have, and the exciting 'James Bond' bullet hole in one layer of the windscreen for a week. Once again, in line with my head.

It really is your luck, and sometimes, out of your control.
Debris in Road - Round The Bend
M5 south of Bristol yesterday evening. Mway busy with all 3 lanes occupied when I suddenly spotted a metal ladder lying across most of the carriage way and, more specifically, fully across the middle lane that I was in. Somehow or other we all managed to avoid it without hitting each other - mainly because there were no tailgaters on the road at that time.

Someone had copped it though, as the ladder was bent and several jagged bits of metal had been scattered. Can only assume it was some kind of lorry that had hit it as there were no dead cars on the hard shoulder.

Could have been a very different story if this had happened this morning with very low visibility due to spray.