Seat belts and celebrities - nick62
Having just watched tonight's edition of "The Apprentice - You're Fired" on BBC2, I noticed Alan Sugar (sorry that should read Sir Alan Sugar), was being interviewed in the back of his Roller and was clearly NOT wearing a seatbelt.

I understand that he was probably not being chased by the Papparatzi at the time, but why is this total lack of regard for the law and their own life, (and the life of anyone sitting in front of them for that matter) seen on a too regular basis?

Do some of our so called "celebrities" believe they are immortal?

Edited by nick62 on 17/04/2008 at 00:23

Seat belts and celebrities - Lud
Of course they're immortal. That's what being celebrated is all about. You die young of your bad habits and everyone remembers you for characteristics you didn't have.

Seat belts and celebrities - grumpyscot
If you watch "Come Dine with Me" on channel 4, every participant is interviewed in a taxi afterwards - none ever wear seatbelts.

And I recall watching a TV prog on the Royal Family - the Queen was driving a Land Rover and didn't wear a belt. And there's proof in the Royal Family (Diana) that not wearing a seat belt can be fatal...........
Seat belts and celebrities - oilrag
I wonder how many lives would have been subsequently saved if a `Clunk Click` campaign had been run featuring Diana?

Seat belts and celebrities - L'escargot
Was the car actually moving, rather than just appearing to be moving?
Was the car actually moving rather than just appearing to be moving?

>>

Yes, definitely, and it wasn't crawling at 5mph in the London congestion either.
Seat belts and celebrities - doug_r1
Was it on a trailer, for filming purposes?
Seat belts and celebrities - maltrap
Was it on a trailer for filming purposes?
Even if it was (and i doubt it) if it came to a sudden stop Sir Alan may have been no more!
Was it on a trailer for filming purposes?

Come on guys, the man was in the back of his car clearly travelling on a fairly open road (i.e. at an appreciable speed) and chose NOT to wear a seatbelt.

We all know the expense of big inquiries recently where the only survivor of a fatal car crash was the one wearing a seatbelt, (and in the worst possible position in the car from an impact point of view).

As I stated in my OP, there were probably no Papparatzi about and I would be almost certain that his chauffer was perfectly sober at the time, but does this excuse him from not wearing a seatbelt?

A bit of a rant I admit, but like littering, it drives me mad! .........Where's my blood pressure tablets?
Seat belts and celebrities - rogue-trooper
my my. the queen not having a seat belt on. whatever next? diving on the public highway in a car without a number plate (which would mean that it might not be taxed).
Seat belts and celebrities - SlidingPillar
Actually the Queen, or more accurately the reining monarch can drive a car with no number plates on the public highway. Got a feeling it's only used for her official car, and anything she drives herself (she certainly used to) is registered as normal in order not arouse interest.l
Seat belts and celebrities - FotheringtonThomas
being interviewed in the back of his Roller and was clearly NOT wearing a seatbelt.

You know what these rich people are with their old bangers - it was probably not fitted with them when it was made.
Seat belts and celebrities - BobbyG
Recently watched one of the re-runs of Police Camera Action and it was the early ones that Graham Cole from The Bill did. He does all his bits to camera in the back of a people carrier, possibly a Voyager without wearing a seatbelt!!
Seat belts and celebrities - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have never seen anyone arriving at or departing from the Downing Street lunatic asylum wearing a seat belt either, so far as TV shows them anyway. That is with policemen on duty in the vehicles with them too, in many cases. Must rush, I've got to get a letter in the post paying a fixed penalty for exceeding my time in a Pay and Display by two minutes!
Seat belts and celebrities - Hamsafar
The reason that they are where they are is they have no fear. Fear is what holds people back and stops them achieving their potential. It is only natural that such a person would not wear a seatbelt.
Seat belts and celebrities - Number_Cruncher
It's a bold driver who would dare say;

Sir Alan! Belt up!

Seat belts and celebrities - bathtub tom
The problem with celebrities is they often think they're above the law, and they're stupid enough to believe that includes the laws of physics.
Another problem with celebrities is that they really think they are celebrities. Actually they are mostly normal or sub-normal people with good PR agents.
Seat belts and celebrities - Pugugly
I like the way that the old fashioned word "personalities" has been superseded by the "C" word. I've often wondered about that.
Seat belts and celebrities - Lud
Surprising how often the C word pops into one's mind when these modern personalities are mentioned in the prints actually...

:o}
Seat belts and celebrities - grumpyscot
The problem with celebrities is they often think they're above the law and they're stupid
enough to believe that includes the laws of physics.

And funny how they seem to think they can get away with speeding, parking stupidly, using mobile phones non-hands-free....

And why is it that all these monied "celebs" always expect to get free meals, clothes etc? I think the government should stamp on all this and tax then for benefits in kind...

(My turn for a rant this morning!!)
Seat belts and celebrities - Pugugly
I defended a minor celeb a couple of years ago on a littering offence. She turned up to Court in a Rangie which was left on yellow lines. After she was convicted she made a grand exit assuming that the gathered hacks were there for her (they were waiting to snap a grubby little sex offender) only to find that the Rangie had been scraped by a bin wagon and that she'd been ticketed. She struck me as a bit of a female Alan Partridge.
Was Sir Alan perchance exempt on the grounds of something in the following?

Exemptions from seat belt wearing

The legislation provides for a number of specific exemptions from the seat belt wearing requirements on medical and other grounds. Please consult your doctor if you think you should not wear a seat belt on medical grounds.
As for the others these include:-

"(b) the driver of or a passenger in a motor vehicle constructed or adapted for carrying goods, while on a journey which does not exceed 50 metres and which is undertaken for the purpose of delivering or collecting any thing;

(c) a person driving a vehicle while performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing;

(d) a qualified driver (within the meaning given by regulation 9 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1987) who is supervising the holder of a provisional licence (within the meaning of Part III of the Act) while that holder is performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing;

(e) a person by whom, as provided in the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1987, a test of competence to drive is being conducted and his wearing a seat belt would endanger himself or any other person;

(f) a person driving or riding in a vehicle while it is being used for fire brigade or police purposes or for carrying a person in lawful custody (a person who is being so carried being included in this exemption);

(g) the driver of?

(i) a licensed taxi while it is being used for seeking hire, or answering a call for hire, or carrying a passenger for hire, or

(ii) a private hire vehicle while it is being used to carry a passenger for hire;

(h) a person riding in a vehicle, being used under a trade licence, for the purpose of investigating or remedying a mechanical fault in the vehicle;

(j) a disabled person who is wearing a disabled person's belt; or

(k) a person riding in a vehicle while it is taking part in a procession organised by or on behalf of the Crown."

Seat belts and celebrities - Statistical outlier
I always wondered why the cabbies around here never wear a belt. Seems a bit suicidal to me, but there you go..
Seat belts and celebrities - davmal
"Celebs" not wearing seatbelts eh?

Makes me think of:

Charles Darwin

Nail

Head
"Celebs" not wearing seatbelts eh?
Makes me think of:

Snipquote!

I think Sir Alan's ability to afford better health care than me will probably give him and his family a greater lifespan, whether they wear a seatbelt on not.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/04/2008 at 13:22

Sir Alan can't even afford a razor, never mind healthcare! Why don't these people either grow a proper beard or have a shave? The distressed Brillo pad is not a good look!
Seat belts and celebrities - Big Bad Dave
""Celebs" not wearing seatbelts eh?

Makes me think of:

Charles Darwin"

Sadly natural selection doesn't apply here, it's irrelevant that Alan Sugar dies in a car accident as he's already passed on his genes. In fact in the animal kingdom it's probably better that he dies then the rest of the pack can eat him.
Seat belts and celebrities - J Bonington Jagworth
"then the rest of the pack can eat him"

Harsh but fair! Not sure he'd taste too good though.

It's a mystery to me why AS is so fêted. He helped the cheap PC market arrive earlier than it would have, but just about everything else he's touched has been a damp squib, if not a disaster (the Em@iler, anyone?).

Back on topic, his not wearing a seatbelt sends out all the wrong messages, IMHO. Not that I watch the programme anyway.. :-)

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 18/04/2008 at 13:42

I am the original AS! Beware of cheap scruffy imitations of the real thing!
Seat belts and celebrities - J Bonington Jagworth
"I am the original AS"

Of course. I was just trying to avoid SAS - I'm not sure he deserves a knighthood, any more than Clive Sinclair, who parted me from most of my pocket money as I tried to get his carp audio kits to work for more than five minutes!
Seat belts and celebrities - davmal
Wasn't just thinking of Big Al, other celebs sprung to mind eg Jade Goodie, anyone who appeared on BB or Joseph or any other "talent" shows. Bring back Opportunity Knocks with good, honest crap from people who know that they don't have talent.