Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - Imagos
It was always in the back of my mind after purchasing my 2002 MG-ZT with 18" rims last july that ever i got a puncture it's going to cause serious grief.

Well it happened not far from home luckily.. the tyre foam as supplied by Rover was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Just about made it to my fast fitters depot just a mile or so..

However the tyre had come off the rim even with the foam. Ok so i need to buy a wheel/tyre/jack off ebay but after a search doesn't seem to be any at all, and a full size 18" wheel wouldn't fit in the wheel well anyway (that's the whole point of not having one!)

So now i'm reluctant to travel very long distances due to this dilema.

I'm a member of the RAC so would they recover me anywhere in the country just if i had a puncture and no factory fitted spare?

What should I do?

Edited by Imagos {P} on 15/04/2008 at 23:52

Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - Dynamic Dave
a full size 18" wheel wouldn't fit in the wheel well anyway (that's the whole point of not having one!)

How about a space saver wheel?
I'm a member of the RAC so would they recover me anywhere in the country just if i had a puncture and no factory fitted spare?

www.rac.co.uk/web/breakdowncover/uk/terms_and_cond...f

Cover shall not include the following:

4. Any costs incurred as a result of you failing to carry a serviceable spare tyre and wheel, or incurred in arranging the removal of a wheel secured by locking wheel nuts when you are unable to provide a serviceable key, appropriate to your vehicle, caravan or trailer.

Please note: Motorised vehicles that are manufactured without the provision of a spare wheel will be considered on their individual merits. Assistance in changing a wheel is covered, subject to you carrying a serviceable spare as specified above.
Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - ijws15
From experience the RAC DO cover vehicles supplied by the manufacturer without a spare (e.g. 206CC) as do the AA.

This comes from SWMBOs experience with her 206CC and the AA when the patrolman refused to use the can and we complained to head office.

We do not take the chance now, her cars since then have all had a spare or a space saver, my Honda (just returned) was specified with the no-cost space saver (used once) and the new Skoda has a full size (Alloy) spare.

We would not have a car without the ability to carry some kind of spare anymore - I have had punctures the goo would never seal (parts of tyre missing).

If there is no space saver specified for the MG using a space saver of your choice (rather than specified by MG) could breach the type approval and hence your insurance cover. I suggest you get rid of the car.
Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - Billy Whizz
Imagos, I would suggest you have 3 or 4 options:
[1] do any smaller factory wheels (or their respective space saver spare) fit in the spare wheel well e.g. 16" wheels? If so consider swapping your 18" ones for them.

[2] If not, is there a factory space saver for the 18" wheels available? Maybe from a different model that shares the same 18" wheels as yours. It won't fit in your wheel well but you could have it tied down in the boot.

[3] Buy a spare full size 18" wheel and tie it down well in the boot. May need to modify boot to add strong tie down points.

[4] professionally modify your boot floor wheel well to take 18" spare. This may not be technically possible (why did MG not do it? Cost only?) and also might not be insurance company friendly.

Of course, options [2] and [3] will take up a lot of boot space but will provide full mobility.
Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - commerdriver
other option, only half joking, is there a way to put a suitable wheel on the bootlid as the old P6 rovers used to offer. Not suggesting a full sized 18" alloy but it is another option, perhaps only to be put on when you are going to be a long way from home.
Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - rtj70
Options?

1. Get rid of the car

2. Change tyres for run flats
Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - brg190 pete
Imagos

I recently bought exactly the same car as you, and mine has a space saver wheel in the boot. These were definitely an option when new, so you should be able to find one. Might be sensible to ask on the R75 / MG ZT owners' club website.
Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - ijws15
I once tried that - The Audi A2 has a Vredenstein space saver, I asked the local Vredenstein stockist for a price, after a few ums and ahs he said he would call me back. . . .

When he did the answer was that it was an Audi special and they could only supply them to Audi!

Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - ad
If it's any help, one of the vendors of R75/ZT spacesavers on eBay (tinyurl.com/68j2gd ) includes a link to www.xpower-mg.com/MG%20ZT_CDTi.htm which suggests that despite the 18" wheels, a 16" space saver is standard - although presumably the rolling radius is different. I guess if you've got bigger brakes than standard, though, it might not physically fit. I know that the bigger engined E46 3-series had a larger spacesaver because of their bigger brakes.

Edited by ad on 17/04/2008 at 22:12

Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - rtj70
If you fit a 16" wheel with the correct profile tyre then surely it can have the right rolling radius? All a matter of knowing what profile to use.

Don't some cars come with tyres that need inflating a bit to get to the correct rolling radius - or is that what was referred to for the A2?
Lack of spare wheel? What should I do? - Pugugly
What does the handbook say ?