Need an 8 seater - ness w
Hi, I'm Ness and new here. I'm looking to buy an 8 seater now that my old galaxy is dying so that I will finally be able to fit all my family into one car. I have up to £8,000 to spend max, and would really like something to last me as long as possible. It will probably end up doing a lot of motorway miles unfortunately. I have heard that I should avoid an estima from a few people who've owned them and have had the head gasket go. I've also been told to avoid the Fiat Ulysse, though the Peugeot and the Citroen versions should be OK if a diesel with an HDi engine. That's the sum total of what I have been told.

Does anyone have any comments to help me make a decision?

Thanks, Ness.
Need an 8 seater - thomp1983
i wouldn't necessarily rule out the estima, my dads had one for 50k with very few problems. most headgasket problems on estima's come from a failure to change the coolant according to the specifications, as with most cars don't look after it and it'll come back to haunt you

chris
Need an 8 seater - Mchenry
The Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen are identical vehicles, built by the same people using the same tooling and parts on the same line in the same factory. In fact, excepting some colours, a vehicle is not even identified as a Fiat, Peugeot or Citroen until it's well down the final assembly line.
Need an 8 seater - boxsterboy
We bought a new Citroen C8 HDI Auto in Sept. 03 but have only put 40,000 on it since. Mechanically it has been 100%, but the electrics tend to play up ocasionally (part of it's French character?).

Ours has electric doors and the sensors are sometimes over-cautious, the alarm is sometimes fooled by the (handy) fold-down kiddy mirror, and another known weakness is the tube leading to the rear wash-wipe. It comes apart and floods the (electric) rear door latch and the (on ours) rear parking sensors. Try not to use the rear wash-wipe is the best solution to this. The EV2 forum has some worse stories, though, so maybe we have been lucky with the reliability?

Compared to a Galaxy (we previously had a VW Sharan) it has been much more reliable mechanically, and the sliding rear doors are a real plus. Similar to drive, I would say. Our HDI Auto was only 110 bhp to start with and so needed chipping to lug the thing along at a decent lick (on the German autobahnen, natch).

When the time comes to replace, I can't think of a more suitable vehicle for us, all things considered.
Need an 8 seater - stackman
£8,000 is probably more than most imported Estimas are worth now. I've had a couple and even watching the coolant like a hawk the head still went.

£8k should get you a Previa though, a UK car with the D4D engine wouldn't have any of the old Estima problems and would be a fine vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback.

A few questions about the Previa then...is the head gasket problem fixed on this? Am I right in thinking that they are all automatics and is this an issue? I've never driven an auto and don't really want to start to be honest. Which engine is the best for them? They look like they might be thirsty and we live in a rural area with high fuel prices, how economical do people find them to run? I have seen a few on the web that are pretty old but with very low mileage, does anyone know why this is the case?

Many thanks, Ness.
The later shape Previa has the later D4D engine fitted which does not have the head gasket problems. I believe its the same engine as the Avensis, Corrola etc.

The automatic gearbox really suits the vehicle and you'll soon get used to it.

I can't comment on the economy of the later models but my old Estima would only do about 27mpg (diesel). I would imagine low to mid thirties from a new shape Previa diesel.
Need an 8 seater - deepwith
Have you looked at a Mazda Bongo? 8 seater - look it up on HJ's car-by-car section. More details on the Bongo Fury website.
Thanks, it seems the previa is a bit more available than the bongo,though both look pretty good. Can I ask what year the shape was changed and the gasket problem fixed on the Previa?

Many thanks, Ness.
I believe the newer shape started in 2000.

The problem models are the older imported Estima and Lucida diesels. The diesel engine wasn't offered in the UK spec Previa. The newest plate for the imported diesels will be P or R reg.