2003 1.9 PD 130 Glow Plug Warning Light - dv

I didn't even know the Golf had glow plugs, but it appears it does, and they aren't happy.

The car starts and runs fine, but the "coiled spring" warning light flashes continously instead of going out after a few seconds when turning the ignition on.

I've looked in the manual, which refers to the "Fuses" section, which helpfully doesn't appear to list any fuse for the glow plugs. I've had a quick check of the fuses at the drivers end of the dash (in the dark - will check properly tomorrow), and the fuses on top of the battery. All looks ok.

Anything else worth checking before my wallet becomes lighter at the local VW dealer?
Is the car ok to drive with a flashing spring on the dash?

Thanks for any advice,
Dave V.
2003 1.9 PD 130 Glow Plug Warning Light - Screwloose
Dave

The flashing glow-plug light is used to warn of an engine management problem.

Get the fault codes read [anywhere] before anything gets serious.

Thanks, I'll get the code read asap.

I'm not going anywhere for the next few days, which means that the wife gets to drive the Vectra VXR: a somewhat scary thought. Road users around Portsmouth & Southampton beware!

dave.

Well, this is one of those days where I learn something.

The code turned out to be "Brake Position Switch error". The error being caused by both brake light bulbs being blown!

Apparently, the brake position switch is connected to the ECU and Fuel Injection system, and can cause a flashing "spring" symbol if either the switch or the bulbs die.

dv.
2003 1.9 PD 130 Glow Plug Warning Light - DP
Apparently the brake position switch is connected to the ECU and Fuel Injection system

I'm not surprised. Try heel and toe downchanges in a VAG diesel, and you'll find another side effect of this. In short, it sends the engine management system into a complete strop!

Glad your fault was something simple though!

Cheers
DP
2003 1.9 PD 130 Glow Plug Warning Light - Screwloose
dv/DP

The twin-track brake pedal position sensor completely cuts off the fly-by-wire throttle as a secondary back-up to the accelerator pedal position sensors. Left-foot brake-drying is out and heel and toe-ing could get messy....

Every time I find 16955, the customers think I'm having them over charging for 2 new bulbs....

£25 for peace of mind, and brake lights that work, is worth it, imho.
Esp as it's the wife with the 3-yr old onboard, it needs to be a safe car.

dv.
2001 1.9 PD 115 VW Golf Glow Plug Warning Light - m7rod
Brilliant - thank you very much.

My glow plug warning light came on for no apparent reason today and I immediatly though WV Main Dealer £££££......

Befor doing so, I typed in VW diesel warning light in Google ad up came this Honest John advice saying check the brake light bulbs. I did, both side brake lights were out and the top brake light was half on - dim and only some leds.

I changed both bulbs, started up, pressed the brakes, all worked fine and the glow plug light went out and has not came back on. car ben fine ever since. Problem fixed for the price of two bulbs and 10 mins time.

Thank you very much indeed. I would never ave worked this out myself.

2001 1.9 PD 115 VW Golf Glow Plug Warning Light - David Horn
I have a Passat and struggle to understand why it can put up a message telling you the screenwash is low but can't spot that bulbs have blown, especially given the number of computers lurking around the car. Zee Germans, eh?