Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - sony
...Can anyone explains exactly what it entails? I have no need for my 2.0TDi diesel anymore and want to replace it with something with similar power but petrol and 5 doors.
I am after an ex demo Polo GTI. They seem to be going for the £13-14k mark.
My A3 has 23k miles on the clock, is truly immaculate (barely any swirls on it!!), on a 56 plate. According to glasse's it's worth £14800 in excellent condition.
What can I expect? ( apart from the salesman telling me the A3 is worth £12k tut tut)

Edited by Pugugly on 07/04/2008 at 20:35

Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - Rich320d
You just need to shop around and see who offers you the best deal.

It would be better if you could sell the A3 yourself on Autotrader say, you would get more than a dealer would offer you for trade in, then you could find a Polo you like and ask for a discount.

If you just trade in at a dealer, you will get a low trade price for the A3 and you will pay full screen price for the Polo.

No dealer is going to want to give you money back, and they are going to want to draw at least 2000 pounds from you, I reckon they will offer you 11k for the A3, to make it worth their while, and ask you for 2000-3000 to change to a Polo GTi.

Seems like a silly thing to do, keep the A3 for another year at least, its a lovely car, powerful and good economy, better than a Polo. Unless you can afford to throw away 2000-3000 pounds??
Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - nick1975
what can you expect? Disappointment.
Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - boxsterboy
what can you expect? Disappointment.

Inevitable, I would have thought, swapping an A3 TDI for a Polo.
But it's ridiculous! Can't dealers stick to the glasse's guide a minimum. My car should be worth a tad under £15k trade-in so why would they offer £12k?? It's just daylight robbery!
I'm not really keen on selling a car of that value privately, but they're forcing you to do that.
Plus selling a car worth roughly £15-£16k privately is going to take ages as people prefer to buy cars of that age from dealerships not privately? I know I would.>> >> what can you expect? Disappointment.

Edited by sony on 11/04/2008 at 08:55

Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - Alby Back
The reality often overlooked is that car dealers are businesses. They need to make transactions on which they can see a profit opportunity. Any other kind of deal fails to meet management responsibility to the business. It's a free market, the customer has the choice to decide if the deal is right for them and so does the retailer.
Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - pd
A3's are running behind "book" in the trade and at auction. Most immaculate examples struggle to CAP Average range and only then if they are the right colour or options. There are just too many late plate examples around looking for a home.

Assuming yours is an SE any dealer could have their pick of similar examples for around £13k so there is no logial reason unless there is something very special about it anyone is going to offer much over £12k for yours.

It's an Se spec with CD changer and sat nav. I know it doesn't necessarily add value but surely makes it more interesting? How the hell can it be worth £12k though!!! Most of them are going for £16-18K on a 57 plate. Does this mean mine has lost at least £5k in a year?? So much for Audi being a safe best for resale purposes.
Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - Rich320d
At the end of the day, Sony, a price guide is exactly that only a guide. Cars will only sell for what people are prepared to pay for them. Supply and demand.

There are a lot of A3s around now, so as others have said they are behind book, fetching less than the guides say.

If you want a better price for it, then you have to make an effort to sell it privately. Get it valeted pop it on Autotrader, is it really that hard??

I think your changing to a Polo idea is silly, and you should stick with the A3 for another year or so.

Only my opinion though, its your money.

Good luck.
Maybe the Polo is a daft idea. I was only thinking price-wise. I need 5 doors- so waiting another year isn't an option. Try sticking two 80 odd year olds in a 3 door car!

Edited by sony on 11/04/2008 at 13:13

Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - legacylad
Unfortunately for you sony it is a buyers market. And getting worse for 'sellers' as the credit crunch takes effect. I have two friends who very recently tried selling their pristine 3 year old cars, the reason being that they were both provided with company vehicles following job changes.
It took them both several months, and in the end one stayed within the family as offers received via Ebay and Autotrader were nowhere near Glasses bottom book price!
As suggested, try Autotrader, having spent time valeting and preparing a professional looking advert.Good luck.
Getting rid of a 2006 A3 for a lower value car - pd
The SatNav will help a bit - ebay might be worth a try as buyers on there seem to like cars with toys. Leather would help it more.

Although some Audi dealers may have a lot of over priced A3's up for sale they are not doing that well in the general market. Audi have just sold too many. There are loads around at auctions etc. similar to yours which can be had for around £12-12.5k which is why there is no logical reason for anyone to pay more than that for yours.

Cars such as A3's are never easy sells privately as they tend to be sold mainly to fleets and to people who buy new on finance. Hence you get loads of 2-3 year old examples about trying to find homes. A canny cash private buyer is actually more likely to buy a 3 year old Octavia as they see it as better value.

It's odd how different cars appeal to different people. A slightly knocked about A4 Avant will still sell easily but an A3 buyer expects an immaculate car and dealer service because it is a heart purchase not the head.

As for the Polo, having suffered all the first 2 years depreciation on the A3 do you really want to go through all that again? Why not get a 2 year old Golf?