04 1.4sx - EWL comes on and poor performance. - kaye
Hi
I am hoping someone is going to be able to help me. I bought my c3 1.4 sx from new in November 04. It only has 16000 miles on it but I seem to be plagued with problems.
While it was still under warranty it had many trips to the dealers because the engine light kept coming on only to be told there was nothing wrong with the car and the light still being on. It still continues to do this and will keep coming on then going off a couple of days later.
Secondly there has been problems with its acceleration. I can put my foot down to the floor and get a maximum speed of 5 miles an hour. There seems to be no power in it at all but when I start it the next time it will start normally.
Thirdly there is this clicking noise which sounds like it inside the dash. It started off just doing it when I turn the engine on but now it does it in a kind of two tone clicking and sometimes it will do it continuously. Tried turning the air con off but this doesnt make any difference.
I am slowly losing confidence in this car and am seriously thinking of getting rid but i would love to know whats up or if anyone else has had this type of problem.
Thanks
Kaye

Moved over from Discussion and subject line tweaked

Edited by Pugugly on 06/04/2008 at 09:51

04 1.4sx - EWL comes on and poor performance. - Screwloose
Kaye

These can be nightmares for this sort of aggravation. The light is warning that there's one of thousands of different codes stored. What did the dealer find?

The lack of acceleration is an electronic throttle problem - once again, there should be a code. If not; check the brake light switch is correctly adjusted.

The clicking in the dash could be electrical or a broken stop on a air-flap motor that letting it run continuously.
04 1.4sx - EWL comes on and poor performance. - kaye
Every time the car has been back to the dealer they have said nothing is wrong with it after running a diagnostic test and the light has stayed on. I took it to another garage and they found nothing on the diagnostic test either.
Its interesting that you have some idea about the acceleration problem as the dealer again didnt find anything with it. These are the reasons why i have lost confidence in the car as i just dont know how its going to perform each time i get in it

kaye

04 1.4sx - EWL comes on and poor performance. - Screwloose
Kaye

If the light is on; there is a code - whether they want to find it is a different matter.

Many dealerships have lost their diagnostics man and have found it impossible to replace him - the spanner-monkeys don't want to know about diagnostics and use the "no fault found" get-out.

You independent may not have had the right equipment to access all areas of fault memory. Try another, more clued-up, one - but hurry, as they're disappearing fast.
04 1.4sx - EWL comes on and poor performance. - johncorne
The C3 has to be the least reliable car I've owned since I started buying cars in 1971.

My C3 has the same symptoms as Kayes. The EWL comes on, the car usually goes into "limp home mode" and is downwrite dangerous to drive with as close to zero power as you can imagain. Sometimes the light comes on but drives normally.

Citroen UK just do not know how to diagnose this. They read the error codes, and say "looks like the coil" or "looks like the spark plugs" or "looks like a wiring problem" or "change the accelerator pedal and see if that fixes it".

The fault goes away for a few days, then sure as eggs, its back with the SAME symptoms. The parts replaced have had no impact on the problem.

Of course, Citroens strategy is to replace something and generate a bill. Then change something else... and generate a bill. They clearly do not have a clue how to troubleshoot problems like this.

I doubt that they will ever fix this (well, till even the wheel nuts have been replaced), so I'm starting legal action

I know one thing - I'll never EVER buy a citroen, even if they give them away with sugar puffs!

Edited by Pugugly on 20/09/2008 at 22:11