Tyre Valve sizes - help! - jollyroger
I got my new tryes and picked up a set of second hand powder coated wheels. I took them to my local garage and when they went to fit the valves one of the holes was a different diameter from the other 3! The valve holes should be about 12mm dia and one of the wheels the hole is approx 16mm dia. The garage said they only have one size of valve.
I am about to plod round the local tyre fitters and see if you can get a larger dia valve.

Does anyone know if you can get larger valves or suggest a solution?
I was told that some Vw have larger valve holes.
Only thing I could think of would be to fit a tube.
Tyre Valve sizes - help! - Screwloose

Maybe a bolt-in valve?
Tyre Valve sizes - help! - kithmo
It is a larger hole because it is for a tube, the wheel is not designed to have a tubeless tyre on and may leak or the tyre may slip on the rim because the bead is a different shape.
Tyre Valve sizes - help! - jc2
There were certainly more than one size of tubeless valve available in the past.
Tyre Valve sizes - help! - John S
Which Morris? Minor? Later cars (well, certainly 1000's) had tubeless tyres. Early cars probably used tubes. That said, I've got one of these tubeless wheels with a tube fitted, so the tube doesn't necessarily need a larger valve hole.

JS
Tyre Valve sizes - help! - Peter D
Mnay tyre places no longer stock tubes as it is not illegal to fit a tube in a tubless tyre due to the possibilty of the tube walking round the tyre and eventually bursting and causing potentially rapid deflation of the tyre. Yes this does sound as though you have the wrong rim. Regards Peter
Tyre Valve sizes - help! - piston power
Try the likes of ats who do commercial / plant / industrial applications, they might still stock the larger valve, yes they did do the larger valve just not common anymore,

Anybody under 35 probably won't have dealt with one, you could try the classic car mags there might be a advert like black circle tyres give them a ring?
Tyre Valve sizes - help! - jollyroger
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I found an alloy wheel dealer who managed to find a valve to fit.
Very old wheels apparently had a larger diameter valve hole 15.8mm as opposed to more modern wheels which have a 11.5 dia hole.
My local garage had never heard of this.
Cheers

Rog
Tyre Valve sizes - help! - Screwloose
Or in sensible inch sizes; five/eighths and seven/sixteenths respectively.

Edited by Screwloose on 07/04/2008 at 15:02

Tyre Valve sizes - help! - vmturbo

Good luck with the powder coating, personally I detest it as it doesn't do what it says on the tin. A Plymouth wrought-iron company near Cattedown will only powder coat garden furniture if it is galvanised beforehand so I think that sums it up. As to the tubeless tyres, I am not a professional tyre fitter, I am a retired engineer and I find that a lot of tyre fitters are useless. The talk about the tube walking around the rim is IMHO baloney. Add talcum powder. Incidentally tubeless tyres are supposed to be fitted on safety rims. These are marked H2 for double hump although there are allegedly single hump H1 rims about that only have the safety hump on the outside. Without the hump potholes, roadworks or kerbing can cause the tyre to come off a non-hump rim. If you don't have a humped rim please fit a tube, trust me I'm an engineer. Alternatively keep it pumped up very hard, bear in mind that you are still living dangerously if you do this.

Whilst on the subject of wheels I'd like to mention a good dodge for curing leaky alloys. (1) Don't think that liberal amounts of tyre soap is the answer because it isn't! The real cure has to be done at home. (2) After removing the tyre and valve clean off all the flaking paint and black aluminium oxide and try to get down to shiny metal. The alloy now has to be primed with Special Metals Primer (etching primer). (3) After this has hardened, paint over the primer with "Smoothrite" and allow it to harden for at least a day if it is summer (in winter drying times are much much longer and artificial heat will be needed). OK the painting and drying may take a week but it will be worth it. (Putting paint directly onto alloy won't work properly as it will flake off just like the OEM paint job). As to the tyre, I use manicure clippers to clip off any "bobbles" in the tyre bead area. If the tyre bead has old paint or dirt stuck to it use glass-paper to sand it off. Once the bead looks as if it will make a good seal, soap it and fit it in the normal way (fit the valve first!) Done this way the tyre should stay hard for at least three months. Good luck!