04 TDI 130 fuel filter change. - Flycog
Hi the fuel filter is ready for a change on the passat tdi 130 pd. Does anyone know of any special procedure for priming etc, or do you just fit and crank the engine.
Regards
Flycog

Edited by Pugugly on 31/03/2008 at 23:20

2004 PASSAT TDI 130 FUEL FILTER CHANGE - 659FBE
The best way to prime a new filter on a PD diesel is to use a suction pump. I use a 1 litre Wanner oil gun in reverse - it works a treat. Fuel drawn into the gun can be squirted back into the car's tank. Don't just crank the engine - this is what the dealers do and it's bad for the tandem pump and the starter motor.

If you do this job, there are a few caveats. Dear old VAG have given the M6 filter strap pinch bolt a triple-square head. It looks like a Torx but isn't. I took the bolt right out and put a screwdriver slot in it with a hacksaw. It's best to retain the original bolt as it's pre-treated with locking compound.

Replace the blue and black 'O' rings on the Tee piece retained by the "mickey mouse " clip. Get them in the right order and lubricate with engine oil before refitting to the new filter. The black Tee pieces are fragile - don't take the pipes off it.

Observe the most scrupulous cleanliness at the filter outlet. If you have (hopefully) bought a reputable filter there will be a protective cover on it. The two 'O' rings will also be included.

Finally, whilst you are in there, follow the fuel outlet pipe from the filter to the tandem pump. There is a very bad foul on the intake charge pipe and the fuel pipe gets badly rubbed. I put 3 or 4 nylon cable ties around it at the affected point.

With detailing like this on what should be a dead straightforward maintenance job, it's little wonder VAG have problems arising from poor workmanship at their dealers.

2004 PASSAT TDI 130 FUEL FILTER CHANGE - Flycog
Thanks for your time and trouble 659FBE for a very detailed and informative write up. Only had the car a few weeks and love it to bits, only slight dissapointment are headlamps which dont seem as good as my previous car.
Regards
Flycog
2004 PASSAT TDI 130 FUEL FILTER CHANGE - Zub
I changed the fuel filter on my 2003 TDI 130 today, it was the first time i have tried changing a fuel filter and was unware that there might be priming problems after. I tried cranking it for a while but it would not start. Checked the fuel filter and it was dry so removed the two fuel pipes connected to the valve and cranked it until the filter filled with fuel. I have tried cranking it a few times again but it still will not start.

I was reluctant to crank it excessively in case something might be damaged. The sucking fuel to prime method was mentioned but where exactly in the engine should this be done? All help gratefully received.
2004 PASSAT TDI 130 FUEL FILTER CHANGE - Hamsafar
Did you fill the filters with clean diesel first (ensuring no dust etc.. gets in) .
2004 PASSAT TDI 130 FUEL FILTER CHANGE - 659FBE
Using a suction pump (or an oil gun in reverse) avoids the need to fill the new filter with fuel from an alternative source with a consequent risk of contamination.

On the PD130 engine connect the inlet hose to the filter and refit the "T" piece with its 2 hoses still attached using the mickey mouse clip. Make sure you have fitted new "O" rings in the correct order - they are coloured black and blue. Now apply strong suction to the filter outlet stub using a translucent tube on the pump or oil gun so you know when you are pulling fuel. When you get fuel reasonably free of bubbles, reconnect the black hose to the filter outlet and start the engine.

My 1 litre Wanner oil gun will fill a new (empty) Mann & Hummel fuel filter in one stroke and the engine started instantly and ran without hesitatation when the pipe connection to the outlet was restored. Never crank a diesel to prime the fuel system - it's bad for the starter and potentially damaging to the lift or tandem pump.

Edited by 659FBE on 05/05/2008 at 00:06