1995 1.0 - engine cuts out - gunnwoom
Have just bought a 1.0 elation that has stood for about 10 months in a garage. I have just put a new battery on her and she starts first time but only runs for about 10 seconds then cuts out even when reved she dosnt misfire and there is no sign of smoke i put a fresh jerry can of petrol n her as well am interested to hear if any one has any ideas as to what the problem could be or where to start looking

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/03/2008 at 01:10

1.0 1995 engine cuts out - Screwloose

Will it restart immediately after cutting-out; or do you have to wait?

Are you using the usual key?
1.0 1995 engine cuts out - gunnwoom
it does restart have tried both keys the car had a new ignition barrel a couple of years ago so have both keys that came with barrel

Does the fuel pump feed leaving terminal 1 of the fuelling relay under the ECU stay live with the engine running?

It sounds a bit like the pump primes and then doesn't come back in on cranking.

Check to see if the sparks goes out when it cuts; just stick an old plug in one HT lead and start it on 3.
thanks i will look into it later today
seem to have sorted it not sure what it was but started it this afternoon and it cut out again, took the back seat out to gain access to the fuel pump gently pulled around on the wires then tried it again and she started and stayed running for a good ten minutes before i switched her off started her again and went round the block a couple of times she cut out a couple of times and misfired abit so cleaned the sparkplugs and disconnected all electrical connectors a sprayed a bit off wd40 into them fired her up and she seems to be fine now thanks for your advice it seemed to point me in the right direction

I have noticed though that you can hear the water going through the heater matrix is this normal for the AX

Many thanks again
Graham
Graham

Might have been a poor connexion on the pump. Hey; if it works, go with it...

Gurgling matrices are usually air in the water - check the level and, carefully, open any bleedscrews when there's a little pressure in there.
problem started again, had it diagnosed as a faulty injector have replced this with a scrap yard item from a 106 1.0 and seems to have cured it my only concern is the part number is different to the original will this cause a problem if the injector is from a larger engine 1.1 or 1.4 for example

I can't see a larger injector not having an effect on the fuelling. You may find consumption increasing and long-term fuel trim codes being flagged as the ECU struggles to keep the oxygen sensor happy.

Run with it for now; at least it will help prove the problem and you can find a better match in due course.