VW sharan A/C weak links? - Big Vern

Was looking at a neighbours 3 Yr old Sharan last night, they were complaining that the A/C would not work, turns out blowers are not working as the 25A fuse had blowen, when this was replaced and fan started working again the air conditioning still would not work, the A/C fuses are ok but still dead as a very dead thing, when you start the car there is no compressor noise.... I am thinking that the A/C system has been leaking gas for some time and that the system is now empty, as they have said that it was never much good, .... if the system has run out of gas will the compressor be damaged and display the symptoms above, or is it smart enough that if there is no gas it just will not power up?
VW sharan A/C weak links? - Big Vern
After thought, they have never had a manuel for the car and had thought that in order to use the A/C you needed to turn on to recirculating air mode, when recirculating the air does it actually get chilled by the A/C or does it need to be on fresh air intake?
VW sharan A/C weak links? - BrianW
I tend to use whichever is appropriate according to whether the air is hotter inside or outside the car.
If the car has been standing and is hot inside then I use the fresh air intake. Once the temperature has come down then I switch to recirculate, but go back to fresh every so often to change the air inside the car.
If it is just warm as opposed to hot outside I leave it on the fresh air setting.
HTH
VW sharan A/C weak links? - Dave N
Vern they have a pressure switch that shuts it down if no gas pressure. Only it works like an oil light, by the time it comes on it's empty.

The big weak area is the evaporator. Seen this on virtually every single Sharan/Galaxy I've been to. To check if it has any gas, press the service port valve in, but be careful. Better still, just take it somewhere and get them to do it. Just don't think a recharge will fix it, at it has a leak, and no amount of new gas will fix it! So they may use dye in the system ad see if it comes out the evap. drain tube on the bulkhead. If it is the evap, costs about £800 ish.
VW sharan A/C weak links? - David Lacey
Thanks for that Dave, we have a Galaxy in with inop a/c next week

Oh deary me.....

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
VW sharan A/C weak links? - Dave N
Dr Dave, if you see some oil around the evap drain, then there's your problem.

It's a rotten job to do, and I don't do them anymore. Takes a good day, airbags out, steering column down, everything you see from the front seat comes out. All the plastic clips break, electrical connectors are duplicated, so you need to label them all, wires are only just long enough, bolts are hidden on the engine side of the bulkhead, I could go on! In fact I will. Airbag and ABS lights may need resetting, climate panel will probably give up on you with the shock of removal and reinstallation, radio codes won't re-enter, engine coolant won't bleed through, and the customer will keep coming back with any problem remotely connected with the dashboard/controls.

It could just be a relay, but also the compressor shafts are know to snap after the compressor has puked it's guts all round the system. If the compressor's got power, but not turning, give it a tap to see if it engages, and see if there's any resistance. If it 'freewheels', you know it ain't connected to the inards of the compressor.

Phew, there you go, all the best.

VW sharan A/C weak links? - NeilT
My dad's old Galaxy V6 lost coolong effect after 5 years (just before replcing with new Galaxy), he got a friend who does Fridge gases to recharge it, but as the car systems have a different valve (probably make you pay rip-off dealer prices) he just brazed a new valve in to the system....all was ok then...

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150