Road Tax question. - Dobiesmon
Hi
Can somebody tell me if I am understanding the road tax mess ?

I am now looking for another car but if I buy another 2ltr after 2001 I will have to pay more tax as it is the size of the engine that they are taxing .

But if it is before 2001 like my old car it is done on the emissions test . £190 ?

So if I want cheaper road tax I would have to look for a small engine sized car 1.0 1.2 1.4 1.6 or 1.8 or do they change and it would be from 2005.

would it matter for road tax if the car was petrol or diesel ?

Edited by Pugugly on 23/03/2008 at 10:39

Road Tax question. - RaineMan

Unfortuneately it is NOT as simple as engine size. CO2 is more affected by power/weight ratio and engine technology. Therefore a heavy vehicle with a small engine and older technology may emit more CO2 per km than 2 litre model from another manufacturer. So you just have to look into which tax band the vehicle you are interested in falls. The main thing is to remember overall running costs - don't choose the wrong vehicle to save £20 - £40 per annum in road tax!
Road Tax question. - Kuang
Try Parkers website, used car section - you can pick the car and it'll give you the current cost, plus projections for the next two years. I've just loked at a couple of cars I'm considering and realised that if I still have them in two years time I'll be paying up to £150 more a year than today.

Good job all that hard obtained cash is being spent on improving the roads so I don't end up paying so much in the future for suspension and steering repairs ahead of their time. Oh, wait..
Road Tax question. - gordonbennet
Try this, parkers have got a very good and easy to read explanation, and you can type in any potential vehicle and see exactly the ved cost over the next 2 years.

tinyurl.com/ynrfgt {tinyurl link to Parkers website made non clickable for reasons previously mentioned somewhere or other}

Thanks kuang for the reminder.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/03/2008 at 17:27

Road Tax question. - zm
For cars registered after 01/03/01, RFL is based on emissions groups and can get expensive, prior to this date it is based on engine size.
Road Tax question. - Pugugly
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=61282&...f

OP - have a look in here, the answers to all the questions you could ever think of !
Road Tax question. - Dobiesmon
Hi
Right its all very clear now like a mud bath can see me having no car ,
so I will look at it another way what would be the cheapest rd tax with what estate car any make .
my rd tax is till may this year but my car won't last that long I will be lucky to get another week so knowing the cost of repair and the rd tax going up ( would cost more than the car is worth ) so much next year it would be better to change now.
so only have to find one
Road Tax question. - gordonbennet
Hello again Dobiesmon.

Yes its a right dogs breakfast isn't it.

You haven't got much money to shell out in the first place, so it may difficult for you to buy a vehicle regd after 01.

Which is a good thing as your road tax with any estate car over 1500cc (it was last time i looked, but that could change at 11.24 thismorning) regd before 2001 will be the same as you would be paying with your wonderful old granada.(which will only go up a tenner or so)

Just before you part with your hard come by lolly though, nip back on here and ask about the particular model you intend to buy, at least several of the odd persons that inhabit the BR will have owned one and will give you their considered opinion.

If you do want a post 01 vehicle, pop onto the parkers site (as above) punch in the details of the vehicle and it will tell you exactly what the taxation highwayman will demand from you.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/03/2008 at 11:26

Road Tax - it is illogical - Falkirk Bairn
I was at my local independent getting some work done.

He has 3 x Land Rovers - one 40+ yrs old, 1 x 25 yrs old and a comparatively new 10 yr old. As well as fixing cars he runs a small fleet on mini buses (handicapped school run, old folks homes etc).

The RFL on the 2 newer LRs will be higher than any of the minibuses.

BIG Lorries

These BIG artics pay road tax based on the size of the tractor unit and on the trailer. A 3 x axle trailer is much higher than a single axle.

At Plating time (MoT) the Artic is inspected and the RFL checked - for the purposes of plating the owner will deliver the lorry for testing pulling a single axle trailer. As soon as the checks are done the lorry will be back on the road pulling 38 tons on a 3 x axle trailer.

By doing this the owner saves thousands / lorry and there is nothing G Brown/A Darling can do as the legislation on axles on trailers was faulty when it went through parliament.
Road Tax question. - barney100
Just read in a car mag. I50g/km will attract £30 of road tax and 130g/km will attract zero from 2010. Seems that older cars of 2000 vintage will miss the hike in road tax. I reckon we will be studying road tax bands very carefully. There again there could be some bargains on larger cars impossible to resist!