97 1.9 TDI 110 timing belt problem. - v8man
I have just replaced the timing belt on my 1997 Passat 1.9TDI 110.
I have used the correct locking tools from Sealey and have been meticulous in doing the job. The problem is it won't start. I have rechecked the timing and the locking tools all go back without a hitch.
Any ideas as to why it won't start? I have checked for loose connections etc.

engine year details inserted

Edited by Pugugly on 21/03/2008 at 22:07

97 1.9 TDI 110 timing belt problem. - Screwloose
Is the pump injecting diesel? Loosen-off one injector union to check and if it is; triple check the pump timing - these will not start if the pump is one tooth retarded.

Have you got the 3-bolt pump pulley?

Edited by Screwloose on 22/03/2008 at 19:01

The pmp pulley is held on by a single centre bolt.

Injecting diesel? Is this the first belt change?
It is the second. The first was done by VW when it was a company car. It is now on 120,000 miles.

3rd time..... Is it injecting diesel?

It's possible that they messed-up the first change; got it a tooth out and re-adjusted the pump to compensate, as it's a pig to correct the belt. When you put the belt to the right place the pump is then out.

Try it on brake cleaner to see if it's definitely a pump issue?
No need to be sarcastic screwloose. Of course it's injecting diesel. The clue is in the topic heading TDI!

I'll try brake cleaner in the morning as it's now frosty and damn cold.
97 1.9 TDI 110 timing belt problem. - thomp1983
he's not being sarcastic, he said unscrew one of the injector pipes coming out of the pump to check the pump is actually pumping the diesel through and hasn't failed internally thus stopping the supply to the engine

chris
I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I'm tired and very cold. Please accept my appolgies.
To answer the original question, yes fuel is coming out.
97 1.9 TDI 110 timing belt problem. - dieselnut
I had the same problem after changing the belt on my sons Passat, although his is a later model 2000 with PD engine.
In this case the engine seemed to just fire for a couple of revs then cut out, just like you had tried to start it with the wrong key & the immobiliser had cut in.
I didn't have the correct special tools to support the front bumper etc that you have to pull forward to access the belt.
This put some strain on cables going to connectors under the power steering resovoir cover.
I separated & re-connected all the connectors & it started straight away, but I couldn't think why a disconnection of any of these cables might cause a no start situation.
Hope this may help you.
Thanks for that. I do have the service position tools. I have checked the connections but no harm in checking again.
I have done this job on these engines before, this is why I'm baffled.
97 1.9 TDI 110 timing belt problem. - DL
Does it try to start at all? Any smoke from tailpipe?

Odd one, I've done many.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
97 1.9 TDI 110 timing belt problem. - manic
v8man
can you check the bottom pulley to make sure its not worn on its keyway?
97 1.9 TDI 110 timing belt problem. - dieselbob
Screwloose may be onto it with the messed up 1st belt change. This happened to me with my 110tdi octavia on the second change the car would run but very rough. Didn't understand the garage guy at the time explaining about his timing being spot on and the fuel pump being out. Runs better that ever since they sorted it. (Not sure how!)
Thanks for all the replies. Plenty to think about when I get back from Germany.
It does smoke from the tail pipe while it is turning over.