'02 - 2.4 - Possible faulty air con compressor?? - slender75
In a nutshell my 2002 Volvo S80 climate control is making a noise like a constant release of air, almost as if punctured. If I turn the system off the noise stops immediately. As soon as I turn it on it starts making the noise immediately. I've fiddled about with the controls and have noticed that it is now not blowing anywhere near as cold as I would expect it to be when put on maximum blow on the coldest setting.

Anybody any ideas what is amiss here?

Thanks.
'02 - 2.4 - Possible faulty air con compressor?? - mjm
It sounds more like a fan/control flaps problem to me than a compressor/air con system fault. If the air con system was punctured then the refrigerant gas would have escaped in a very short period of time, a few minutes. The low pressure switch on the system would then stop the compressor from starting. You would get no cold air at all, then.

I would start with the easiest check, is the pollen filter clogged up or has it broken up and is blocking some airways?
Thanks for your reply, mjm, I'll check this out.
'02 - 2.4 - Possible faulty air con compressor?? - Dave N
If the gas gets low you can sometimes hear it hissing through the expansion valve. I seem to remember there was also a technical bulletin for faulty expansion valves making noise. Speak to the dealer about the expansion valve, then see if it has enough gas in it.
Thanks, Dave N. I'll do a bit of research and see if I can turn up that TSB.
'02 - 2.4 - Possible faulty air con compressor?? - eric88
Hi, I have the same hissing sound in my v70. Can you tell me what you found out? Thank you!