Just bought a TDCi - Hughie
Just bought a Zetec-S (130bhp 2004) so probably going to be posting a few questions on here.
First one is that every picture I've ever seen of the engine bay of a TDCi, the engine has a large plastic cowel/cover covering the entire engine. My car hasn't got one - should it have?

I've also got a noise that sounds like an exhaust hole blowing but only seems to happen when I'm in too high a gear for the speed I'm doing - is this normal?
If this is normal, is it right that I can't drive around town at 30mph in 4th gear?

TIA
Hughie

Just bought a TDCi - Galad
Did you buy it from a dealer, privately or from an auction?
Dealer, just wanted to try and get a bit of knowledge before I went back to argue the case with them.
Just bought a TDCi - kithmo
Ford stopped fitting the engine covers for a while, so they all didn't get one, mine didn't have one initially nor a battery box and cover nor suspension strut top covers. They all come up on Ebay now and then if you want them.
Assuming you have the 6 speed gearbox, same as mine, I find that you can get away with 4th at 30 mph when there is little load on the engine (e.g. on the flat and downhill) and it is up to normal temperature although the engine likes 4th better when your doing 35-40mph. Mine runs smoother at low revs with the Millers Power plus or Power sport 4 diesel fuel additive in.

Edited by kith on 16/03/2008 at 19:24

Just bought a TDCi - Alby Back
As a very general rule my Mondeo TDCI seems at its' most comfortable when you match the gears to the decimal increments of the speed in mph. I.E. -

0-10mph use 1st gear
10-20mph use 2nd gear
20-30 mph use 3rd gear
30-40 mph use 4th gear

and so on...........

For an additional piece of possibly useless and unrelated info. On a speed awareness course I was "invited" to last year the tutor suggested using third in most cars if a steady 30mph was required. His argument being that it was easier to manage a consistant speed using slightly higher revs. and that it would be less necessary to brake on downhill stretches. I did try this and have to say it seems to work with no apparent negative effect on mpg.
Just bought a TDCi - greenhey
My wife is a pofficer and has been taught to do this. I have tried to adopt it but can't resist the temptation to change up, particularly if it's noisy!
Ford stopped fitting the engine covers for a while so they all didn't get one
mine didn't have one initially nor a battery box and cover nor suspension strut top
covers. They all come up on Ebay now and then if you want them.

Thanks for that, I see there are a couple on there now!
Assuming you have the 6 speed gearbox same as mine I find that you can
get away with 4th at 30 mph when there is little load on the engine

Seems to rumble in any gear if it's going the slightest bit too slow - a lot more than you'd expect.
Just bought a TDCi - drivewell
If this is normal is it right that I can't drive around town at 30mph
in 4th gear?

Agree with Kith; mine ('05' plate, 130bhp) is happy at 30mph in 4th, on the level, but would need to change down if I came to an incline. Don't really feel you should be driving at much less than 1500rpm - always told anything below that was labouring, and putting a strain on the engine main bearings.
Read about the intercooler pipe causing a vibration on another thread. Took it back to the dealer and that's exactly what it was. Wedged a bit of foam in the gap and no more noise! :0)

Just done a round trip to the north of Scotland, 650 miles on about £60 worth of petrol averaging 52mpg - seems like pretty good figures to me.

Just bought a TDCi - madf
"650 miles on about £60 worth of petrol "

Amazing for a diesel.
"650 miles on about £60 worth of petrol "
Amazing for a diesel.

Aha, well spotted, obviously I meant chip pan oil.
Just done a round trip to the north of Scotland 650 miles on about £60
worth of petrol averaging 52mpg - seems like pretty good figures to me.

>>

We know you meant diesel, but seriously, only 52mpg? You must have been hammering it ! ;-)

I can get 53/54 mpg at a steady 70, but typically see 56/57 mpg on a decent run on A roads at a steady 60mph. ( '05' plate 130bhp TDCi - 6 speed)
We know you meant diesel but seriously only 52mpg? You must have been hammering it
! ;-)
I can get 53/54 mpg at a steady 70 but typically see 56/57 mpg on
a decent run on A roads at a steady 60mph. ( '05' plate 130bhp TDCi
- 6 speed)

I was flying on the way up there but took a more sedate run home.
I've still got the "new car buzz" and really like the acceleration so was still playing with it.
It's good to know that I should be getting better mpg, is there anything obvious to look out for if it doesn't improve once I take my lead shoes off?
Just bought a TDCi - Mapmaker
was flying on the way up there

So who took the car up for you?
>> was flying on the way up there
So who took the car up for you?

it's the Zetec-Mig model, took it myself.
It's good to know that I should be getting better mpg is there anything obvious
to look out for if it doesn't improve once I take my lead shoes off?

>>

Nothing obvious. Often suggested that cruise-control uses more fuel than manual, because it tends to accelerate back up to speed more quickly than an economy-conscious driver might. Still, it can be a big help sometimes, particularly in keeping to speed limits.

I know exactly what you mean though, about playing with the acceleration. I appreciate the 'oomph' you get from around 2000rpm.
Often suggested that cruise-control uses more fuel than manual because it tends to
accelerate back up to speed more quickly than an economy-conscious driver might.

I'd thought about that and the effect of having Climate control on??
I know exactly what you mean though about playing with the acceleration. I appreciate the
'oomph' you get from around 2000rpm.

:o)))
Just bought a TDCi - Mad Maxy
52 mpg... I'd be very content with that.