2001 1.8 - oil burning smell???? - samsun
i ive a x reg year 2001 vectra 1.8ls,had engine management light on for a few months,finaly got it taken to garage today,faults were knock sensor-replaced-throttle body-cleaned up etc-they said the car was bone dry of oil,they put oil in it etc but said its burning oil??ive smelt this on way home,is this because of running it dry of oil?wat damage could have been done etc?it starts,drives fine sounds alot better than before,they said to check my oil every 200 miles and keep topping up and the sensor in exhaust mite level it self out and the burning of oil might go away.what has my partner done to my car.

{year & engine details added to subject header. Try reading the sticky messages at the top of the page before posting next time}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/03/2008 at 18:49

2001 1.8 - oil burning smell???? - piston power
Seems like you have been lucky this time no oil no engine ie: seizes up!

Check for blue smoke on start up or hard acceleration?

Whats the mileage?
67500 miles,no excessive smoke at all.
2001 1.8 - oil burning smell???? - Dynamic Dave
When was the car last serviced? Might be worth your while draining out the old oil, replacing the oil filter and refilling with 10w/40 semi synth oil (Vauxhall's 'own brand' is v.good) and then monitoring the oil consumption afterwards.
due for service in june,garage said they just put 4 litres of oil in cos it was that dry.what makes an engine to burn oil?wat costs etc ?
just noticed some smoke out of the exhaust after been started for 5 mins or so,not dark or blue colouerdis this normal,smoking wen left idling and more wen i rev?????
2001 1.8 - oil burning smell???? - Dynamic Dave
they just put 4 litres of oil in

That is a lot considering an oil change takes 4.5 litres of oil. It's a wonder the oil low pressure warning light wasn't on by running the engine with only ½ litre of oil in the engine.

If you have really been running the engine with this small amount of oil in it, it's a wonder you haven't knackered the engine.
what makes an engine to burn oil?

Worn piston rings. Worn valve guides and rubber seals. Gasket leaks. Probably more.
just noticed some smoke out of the exhaust after been started for 5 mins or so

Was it actually smoke or condensation (ie, steam)?

Blue smoke indicates oil, black smoke indicates unburnt fuel. Condensation is generally the same colour as what comes out your kettle spout when it boils.
cheers mate,im not that clued up on cars lol,its not blue smoke or black so i may have been lucky and not done any thing to the engine,hope not.