99 1.9 booster heater, broken solenoid - richbev
my car started heating up really slowly in the recent cold weather. On further inspection the solenoid that powers the booster had broken.

I replaced it and the booster kicked into life. A bit of smoke but quite noisy. Since then its started staying on longer and smoking more.

I'm a mechanic so could do the work myself but not totally sure what's going on with this one.

The bottom hose seems cold a lot of the time too. Maybe i have two problems. I thought the thermostat at first but on inspection the water pump was weeping so i changed that with the stat which didn't make any difference. i changed the temp switch which is fitted in the top hose. No difference. When the car is on a run its great just takes about 6 miles or so to get up to temp. Any ideas please

Year and engine varient inserted into subject line - re-formatted to make easier to read.

Edited by Pugugly on 04/03/2008 at 23:13

vw sharan booster heater - Screwloose

Is this a PD? Most TDi's don't warm up quickly unless they're going at some speed and a new stat was a good place to start.

The Eberspacher usually needs a new glow-plug if it smokes for more than a few moments at fire-up.