FWD transmission noise? - Keith H
I own a Peugeot 306 1.6 XS (96N 8v). I was wondering if anyone could help to identify a noise that appears to come from the front of the car.

The noise occurs when turning at slow speed with about 3/4 lock or more applied while accelerating (eg car parks, mini roundabouts, etc. The noise is a continuous, whining/grumbling noise (ie not a clicking CV joint type noise). It never occurs when the accelerator is not pressed, regardless of speed or amount of steering applied, and this applies whether the car is under engine braking or coasting. The volume/noticeability generally increases as the amount of lock and/or speed increases. Interestingly, the noise also only seems to be resent once the car is warmed up.

When driving in slippery conditions recently, the same noise was made when the front wheels accelerated at different speeds without any steering lock applied - so it may be related to the front wheels turning at different speeds, just as they do when turning, particularly in tight circles.

The noise has been present for the last 10k miles (done since early February, until then it had covered 38k miles) but has not increased in severity over that time. There are also sometimes slight hesitations when accelerating through the rev range in 2nd, although this is still brisk and torquey from low revs and I do not believe the performance or handling characteristics of the car are impaired. The hesitations may or may not be related but I thought I would note them.

After a test drive, a Peugeot dealer suggested it was the power steering pump but I am dubious of this as the noise is present under certain conditions when there is no steering and it is only ever present when the car is accelerating.

Any help appreciated, many thanks in advance,

Keith
FWD transmission noise? - steve paterson
Could be the Diff. Some parts of this unit work hard when the driven wheels are rotating at different speeds. Accelerating on a lock might load it enough to displace a worn diff. pinion / side gear and cause a noise.