2001/1.4 16v/Sump plug allen key size?/Oil rating - Ben85
Hello there

I've 2 queries on my Clio.

1. My grandma used to own the car, that= driving round her town at 25mph in 5th gear!!

I am planning an oil change and want to use 5w/40 fully synthetic, this seems to be the best mix, high enough as recommened by Renault to protect the engine when hot and low enough to cause the minimum amount of wear when starting,

So basically is it safe (ie not too thin), to use a 5w/40 fully synthetic?

2. the 2nd question, what size allen key do i need to get the sump plug off?, I want to know first and get it off as opposed to undoing the 'undercover' and having the wrong size plug?

Just one more for fun, I've read these engines can have idling problems so all 4 coils have been replaced, cleaned the ICV valve, PCV valve, and as much of the throttle body as I can, are there any other problem areas (ignition, engine wise) that I need to be aware of.

Many thanks

BW
2001/1.4 16v/Sump plug allen key size?/Oil rating - biggz
That oil will be more than suffice, renaults recommend 10W/30 semi synthetic I think.
The sump plug is a square drive not an allen key, I think its 11mm but not 100%, i got a tool for mine from Halfords years ago for about £5.

As for the idling problems youve gone a bit overkill cleaning all that and replacin gyour coils, from memmory they're expensive. There are a lot of things that can cause the idle problems, I spent ages tracing mine and it turned out to be a blocked impulse line to the MAF sensor.