Has Tesco brekkie gone too posh while on the road? - drbe
I notice on another thread (Milton Keynes by 09.30) that the OP had time for a coffee in Wolverton Tescos, but no fry-up because the Tesco cafe is now a Starbucks.

Is this the way Tescos are going? For those of us with irregular work patterns, it is nice to know when out on the road (motoring link) that we can get a nice cheap cooked breakfast at Tescos.

I had an hour to kill this week near the Tescos on Cromwell Road near Earls Court. Having had an early start I was looking forward to lining my arteries with some cholesterol; when I found that the Tesco cafe is now one of those Costa Plenty places - so no fry-up, just a croissant and a cup of tea!

I do hope they are not going to convert all of their cafes to coffee places - perhaps it's just in the areas seen to be posh.

Motoring link ! Moved to IHAQ. And moved back after a petition !

Edited by Pugugly on 02/03/2008 at 11:34

Tescos Gone Posh? - Hamsafar
You think Starbucks is POSH!?!?!
These places are like the Burberry cap of cafés. (Pseudo-posh for SEG F&G)
It's not even proper coffee.
Tescos Gone Posh? - oldtoffee
>>I do hope they are not going to convert all of their cafes to coffee places - perhaps it's just in the areas seen to be posh.

If that is the case, good news as I feel fairly confident that Slough will avoid the makeover list.

Tescos Gone Posh? - drbe
I just wanted a nice fry-up, not some namby pamby croissant and coffee.

Tescos Gone Posh? - Bromptonaut
Opening for one of their rivals here I think. Morrisons seems the most likely purveyor of a good full breakfast.
Tescos Gone Posh? - drbe
I don't think there are many (any?) Morrisons darn Sarf.
Tescos Gone Posh? - Martin Devon
Opening for one of their rivals here I think. Morrisons seems the most likely purveyor
of a good full breakfast.

AGREE........MD
Tescos Gone Posh? - drbe
I have now emailed a complaint to Tesco HQ.

I will let you know what response I get - if any!
Tescos Gone Posh? - gordonbennet
I have now emailed a complaint to Tesco HQ.
I will let you know what response I get - if any!

If they tell you the truth, it could be ''we can make more profit from a franchise''

every little helps when your struggling along on 2 billion plus profit.
Tescos Gone Posh? - Mapmaker
Motoring link is obvious; please reinstate! Tesco breakfast is not a destination; nor is it a 'oh I'll have one of those' when doing the shopping. It's a place to stop to eat after filling up with cheap fuel when driving round the country; Tescos are the cheap service stations for the canny traveller. The Little Chef threads ran to hundreds of posts...

Morrisons outside Kettering does a good breakfast. I was disappointed to find that Tescos in Toton (I think it was that one) outside Nottingham which was always a good spot to leave the M1 now has a Starbucks/Costa.
Tescos Gone Posh? - Pugugly
Fair point MM - can't be bothered to move it now though.
Judge, jury and executioner....... ;)
No - I'll do it later.
Mapmaker has just gone to Tescos for a steel collar to try to make PU's job a little more difficult. He fears for his neck...
Buy a Tesco Value one - cheap but effective. Moving posts takes time and concentration once they've been embedded in another thread, I accept your point and will move it once I have five minutes to spare.
Oh sorry... I thought you were going to execute me later, not move the thread later. My misunderstanding!

Edited to point out I've been in the office all day, so I'm not at my sunniest; sorry.

Edited by Mapmaker on 01/03/2008 at 19:52

Tescos Gone Posh? - drbe
PU - you could always change the header of course, to make it a little more clear what the thread is about.

Er, perhaps 'Tesco sites for a cheap cooked breakfast when on the road', something snappy like that. ; - )
OK finally bullied into going stand alone -now back to the topic !
Tescos Gone Posh? - Martin Devon
OK finally bullied into going stand alone -now back to the topic !

WHICH WAS? Just kidding mate.

vbr...md
Tescos Gone Posh? - BobbyG
A couple of years ago Sainsburys were going to go the franchise route and only stopped this at the last minute when they headhunted some ex Safeway and (then) current Morrisons Cafe people over to do a revamp.

Must admit when on the road our family takes a total different approach to eating. For instance, we have a Morrisons 2 mins away from the house but would never ever dream of eating in its Cafe. But as soon as you go a decent car journey, we find ourselves looking for a Supermatket Cafe as its suddenly perceived to be good value!

Similarly we always refuse to line the pockets of Motorway service stations..... except for Scotch Corner where we always like to stop off if heading down the East side, usually to Center Parcs in Sherwood Forest. Its roughly half way and is a good stopping point after the A66!

I believe there are various books etc showing cheap eating places close to motorways, always vowed to try these instead but have never got round to it!

Tescos Gone Posh? - jdc
Try this link also :-

www.5minutesaway.co.uk/frm/index.asp

Can be quite handy sometimes.

Cheers
jdc

Tescos Gone Posh? - mikeyb
Sainsburys Bracknell has been equiped with a Starbucks for many years, but still a cheaper and nicer option to a motorway services and they have cheep (ish) fuel
Has Tesco brekkie gone too posh while on the road? - doctorchris
Asda has always been a great place for a fry up but I see that some of them now have a Macdonallds instead, yuk.
Sainsburys and Morrisons remain very good in terms of quality and value for money.
Has Tesco brekkie gone too posh while on the road? - Pugugly
Personally, I tend to stop in roadside cafes (what the Americans would call a Mom and Pop's business) far better value for money, and somehow more re-assuring in the hygiene department.
Has Tesco brekkie gone too posh while on the road? - Mapmaker
>>in roadside cafes

Do you mean caravans?

Depends on what you want and what the weather is doing.

A bacon roll and a polystyrene cup of tea in the summer = trailer on side of road.

If it's mid-winter, you're hungry, you'll be spending the day out of doors pursuing some field sport or another then they just don't do the trick.

And nothing in this world is better value than a huge fry up for a couple of quid including tea - which is what the supermarkets charge.

Edited by Mapmaker on 02/03/2008 at 14:12

Has Tesco brekkie gone too posh while on the road? - Pugugly
No problem in a caravan on the bike, prefer to sit down in a caff otherwise.