Brake light switch failures. - jlo
Hi,

My mate found last night that his Citroen Picasso brake light switch had failed and was driving with no brake ligths at all. He bought a new switch and all is corrected.

My question is on my car (Mk 5 golf) I have a bulb failure warning light but would this activate if the brake lights switch failed? Strikes me that some sort of warning on the dashboard would be very useful as of course its highly dangerous to be driving with no brake lights!

His car gave no warning of this failure. Just noticd it when he was reversing at night and noticed his brake lights were not working.

Cheers

Jlo
Brake light switch failures. - Hamsafar
The VW will flash the glow-plug (tdi) or EML (petrol).
On my last two cars, the brake switches have failed more than once, but not the bulbs, - switches with a lower life-span than bulbs - pathetic!
Brake light switch failures. - JamesH
It's much easier/cheaper to build so the lights default to off when the switch it broken, but it would be much better the other way around, seeing as how dangerous and relatively common this is.

With the lights always off, it's only when someone nearly (or actually does) go into the back of another that both find out the lights have failed. When always on, you're a bright red beacon saying you effectively have no brake lights, so other drivers can stay clear or flash you.

Of course, people should check their lights regularly, but switches can fail between checks and how many people actually check them other than at MOT/service time.
Brake light switch failures. - jlo
Cheers for the replies.

I agree with the suggestion that if they fail then all brake lights should be stuck on. At least if easy for other drivers to realise they are driving with no brake lights.

Jlo