1997 - Central locking - johnsheldon
My son has just left his Vauxhall Vectra (1997) with me and gone on holiday. The car won't open with the remote control and when I use the key the alarm goes off but stops when the ignition is switched on. I've changed the battery in the remote control but it hasn't made any difference - any suggestions?

{year added to subject header - the 3 separate requests for this obviously became invisible again!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/03/2008 at 18:03

Central locking - John S
The alarm going off when you use the key is perfectly correct behavior. It covers for the car being entered forcibly by turning the lock.

The fob probably needs resychronising. Not unusual when the fob battery goes flat or when it's changed. It's in the instruction book if you have it, but the sequence is: Turn the ignition on, open the drivers door and press the lock button on the fob. The doors should lock and immediately unlock. The fob will then be resynchronised and should work normally.

JS

Edited by John S on 01/03/2008 at 16:30

Central locking - johnsheldon
Many thanks, I will try it in the morning. Unfortunately the hand book isn't in the car.
Central locking - johnsheldon
Your advice was excellent. It worked first time.
Central locking - John S
Pleased to help - thanks for coming back to 'report'.

JS
Central locking - baldereagle
I had the same problem, and before I found the solution on this forum, a local dealer quoted me £50 per key to "resynchronise" them. Moral - never believe what a dealer tells you without checking elsewhere.
Central locking - John S
Yes, I know someone who was charged an not inconsiderable sum for this service. He was amazed when I told him the instructions are in the handbook. Moral - RTFM!

Oh, and for the record, later cars have a different system - but again it's in the handbook.

JS

Edited by John S on 22/03/2008 at 17:52