How much should I be paying? - stephsteph
Can anyone help with this? I've just test driven a Golf Driver 1.8L (ltd edition, apparently), 100k on the clock, M registration. Drives well but the clutch bites a bit high up which made me wonder if it was slipping. The dealer is putting a year's MOT on it and new middle box but there's no tax.

It was in the showroom at £800 which I thought was way over the top (although by no means an expert!) and they said I could have it for £594 but without warranty. My neighbour, who's forever buying cars, says £400 would be nearer the mark.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
How much should I be paying? - oilrag
I have no idea on prices, but when was the cambelt last done Steph?
they've no service history but guy took the cover off the cam belt and it looked and felt very new.
How much should I be paying? - oldnotbold
M reg Golfs are bangernomics cars - the Driver was an attempt to make the car look more sporty, but still low powered for the insurance.

Look underneath - they used to rust badly - well the one I had did, though it got wet often (muddy lane).

You might as well look on EbayAutiotrader for prices - but it's worth £400-£600 in all probability. The year's MoT puts about £250-400 on the value above scrap!
Ooer - what does bangernomic mean? Yes there is a bit of corrosion but I would expect that for a VW that age. Are you saying you don't think it's a good buy?
How much should I be paying? - adverse camber
bangernomics is an approach to car ownership that says that you you buy cheap cars and have low cost motoring.

google it and you'll find various web sites with good opinions on reliable cars which are available at very cheap prices.

I wouldnt pay a lot for an M plate golf, but at a dealer you have to expect him to want to make money on it. And not just £50. You would do better on ebay or local paper.

tbh at this age condition is more important than anything else - we cant see the car.

Unless you are set on the golf, I would suggest that the audi 80 in the classifieds here (unless its sold now?) is a better use of £500.
Thanks for the info, I haven't been on this site fora while and didn't know there were classified ads on here now. Unfortunately the Audi you mentioned is too far away for me. I'm not set on the Golf atall, I just need a car really urgently and time is running out.

Cheers
Stephanie
How much should I be paying? - ForumNeedsModerating
If Golf doesn't work out, or you're fairly agnostic on make/model, a possible extra source of local cars - if you haven't tried it already that is - is to use autotrader with a 20mile-ish radius search of your post code, but with no make/model defined - all sorts will come up! I'm sure you'll find a fair number in your price range. The search filters on AT are useful as well, for age, engine size, fuel etc.
How much should I be paying? - oilrag
At least there`s a bit of protection buying from a dealer even though he has his profit.

How much should I be paying? - oldnotbold
The rust on a Mk3 Golf won't be visible til it's up on a ramp/hoist, as it's right underneath.

You need to spend a little bit of time looking for cars that have been cared for by one owner for a longish time. Buy from an old boy who is giving up driving! There's so much to choose from, but I'd have a look at the Nissan Almera (no image, but good engineering) and the Peugeot 205 (good image, a long time ago) but they really don't rust, and they are cheap to maintain.

The Almera may well be in the hands of an older owner who values quality over looks.