X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - oldtoffee
A family member recently filled up their X5 diesel with unleaded and drove it several miles before realising their mistake. The car was towed to the local BMW dealer and the fuel system replaced.

Guess how much the final bill was? I was surprised to hear that the insurance company coughed for it as it was considered an acccident - just as well!

X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Pica
£7500?
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - simmybear
£6000?

how much petrol? - I believe that it used to be the case that a small quantity of petrol could be added to diesel to improve its low temperature properties 9e.g. to stp waxing)

Simon
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - mike hannon
I saw today that one of the French national tyre fitting companies is offering free insurance if you buy tyres, covering call-outs for incidents including punctures and wrong fuelling. The problem must be spreading.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - rtj70
"believe that it used to be the case that a small quantity of petrol could be added to diesel to improve its low temperature properties 9e.g. to stp waxing"

That was before common rail diesel injection. These rely on the derv to lubricate the pump etc. and it's at such high pressure some petrol can quickly damage it... and then the damaged pump bits damage even more of the system.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - FotheringtonThomas
£40 for the tow, £112.07 inc. VAT for the rest?
Sorry Fotherington Thomas not quite! Pica wins - it was £8,500.

It was £65 worth of unleaded so I think that exempts it from the small quantity bracket. I'm not sure how far it was driven - said family member is being a bit sheepish about the whole thing.

It's been traded in so someone soon will have the "benefit" of a new fuel system in their 4 year old X5. Whether that's a good thing or not I don't know.

X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Happy Blue!
Sounds fair. It cost £9000 for a Merc S-class belonging to an acquaintance last week. The insurance paid for that as well.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Bill Payer
People will say all that work doesn't need doing, but the insurance companies wouldn't pay if they didn't think it did.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - craig-pd130
Our MD had an £8K bill for putting £25 of unleaded in his newish Grand Cherokee with the Merc V6 diesel.

He only drove it 1 mile at low rpm, so he probably would have been OK with a drain & flush, but the car was just 6 months old, and he wanted to retain the balance of the warranty.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Red Baron
And it is the dodo-brained activities of some such muppets that are partly to blame for the relentless increase in insurance premiums.

I can foresee that mis-fuels will one day not be covered.

p.s. I have never mis-fueled. Our family has one petrol and one diesel.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Greg R
"And it is the dodo-brained activities of some such muppets that are partly to blame for the relentless increase in insurance premiums."

Only a muppet would say that. It is very easy to misfuel...not paying attention or having mind on other things etc. I would love to meet someone who never makes mistakes: never met one person that is perfect yet. Only muppets think they are perfect.

Amazingly how expensive it is: would make anyone who reads this think three times before filling up their motoe!!!
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Happy Blue!
I've done it! Driving to the station in our almost new diesel car and kept saying to myself "... put the right fuel in... put the right fuel in..."

I put in two litres of unleaded and then having realised, topped it up with over 55 litres of derv. The car is still fine over three years later, but who knows the long term prognosis. In any event, everyone is capable of such mistakes and I was concentrating and think of myself as reasonably alert to such matters.

So to state that only a muppet would do it, requires one to say it!
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Bromptonaut
Agree with Espada and Greg. Driven diesels since 1993 but found myself with the unleaded nozzle in the Berlingo a couple of years ago - only the habit of a final x/check of grade selected on the pump saved me.

Blame work - I was mentally re-checking the running order and domestics for our annual conference the following week.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - brg190 pete
No wonder insurance premiums are so high. Personally, I don't see why the insurance company should pay out in these circumstances. It's not really an accident, is it? I'm sure it is very easy to make a mistake, but there is still a deliberate action involved in putting fuel in your car.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - CGNorwich
It's not really an accident, is it? I'm sure it is very easy to make a mistake, but there is still a deliberate action involved in putting fuel in your car.

It's surely no more deliberate than driving into another car. If i you did it on purpose it would not be an accident and it would not be covered just as driving into another car on purpose would not be covered
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - jbif
not paying attention or having mind on other things etc
kept saying to myself "... put the right fuel in... put the right fuel in..."
Blame work - I was mentally re-checking the running order and domestics

Yes, blame everything else in sight but yourself.

All three above prove Red Baron's point that it is " ---dodo-brained activities of some such muppets ..." .

These actions describe muppets perfectly. Where is the shame in admitting to it ? So why the reaction against Red Baron?

The shame is that insurance companies are willing to cover for such damage. They should at the very least have a very high excess for mis-fuelling claims.

Edited by jbif on 26/02/2008 at 20:20

X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - DP
SWMBO put 6 litres of Esso's finest Unleaded in the Scenic last year, luckily realising her mistake by the smell of the fuel (believe it or not) and stopping there and then. After some deliberation over whether to just chance it and top it up, we had it towed to a local indie who drained and flushed the tank and lines with fresh diesel, and added some diesel fuel system lubricant in the tank for the princely sum of £125.

Yes it's a stupid thing to do, but quite honestly who doesn't make mistakes occasionally? Life is full of distractions and mishaps - stuff happens as they say. You deal with it and move on.

I must admit though, reading the op's tale makes me so happy she didn't start the engine. I doubt a new Bosch fuel system for a Scenic would have been cheap!

Cheers
DP
Thanks for backing me up jbif.

I have NOT said that I do not make mistakes!.

I HAVE said that I have never mis-fuelled!!!!! It pays to beware of costly mistakes and mis-fuelling a CR diesel is one of them. I fail to understand what the difficulty is. Only when insurance companies refuse to pay for repairs will people be more attentive.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Manatee
I'm surprised nobody has had a go at the manufacturers for their racketeering parts prices - there's no way replacing the fuel system should cost anything like £8,500.
It's not racketeering. It's life. For many industries the aftermarket is a good source of income.
It's not racketeering. It's life.

Agreed. It is a fact of economic life for servicing costs associated with any high-wages high-tech up-market product. Hence the throwaway society. For example, a £1000 plasma screen TV can be cheaper scrap and replace with brand new rather than pay for diagnosis and repair. I know of a cutting-edge high-tech US company producing defence related products which was recently given Government permission to source parts from China. The parts are currently manufactured in West Coast USA employing highly paid and highly skilled technicians. The parts are now made in China and delivered at an astonishing tiny fraction of the original cost of production in USA!

Only when insurance companies refuse to pay for repairs will people be more attentive.

Perhaps people would stop crashing if insurance companies didn't pay out for bodywork repairs?
Perhaps people would stop crashing if insurance companies didn't pay out for bodywork repairs?

Just try driving your Merc with TPF&T cover only. If you have the psyche of a normal human being, you should immediately see a big change in your driving style, habits and attention. I know that when it is pointed out to car-renters that they have a £800 or more uninsurable excess, the look of shock/horror on their faces tells all. They try to buy their way out of this excess but find that even after paying a hefty extra premium, the excess continues apply to tyres and windscreens damage. Key loss costs and misfuelling are also usually specifically excluded.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - rebel
If your out of warranty motor develops an expensive fuel system fault, whats to stop you putting some petrol in and then claiming a whole new fuel system on the insurance?

Only a muppet would say that (It is very easy to misfuel) not paying attention or
having mind on other things etc.

Lovely excuse. "I smashed into.... " "I misfuelled...." "because I wasnt paying attention" "because I had my mind (sic) on...."

Only "muppets", I'm afraid, perhaps think like this.
Sorry Fotherington Thomas not quite! Pica wins - it was £8 500.

I did not actually think my suggested figure would be the actual figure. As an aside, did you know that for the same mechanic, driving the same recovery vehicle, towing the same dead weight of machine, for the same distance, that brands of cars differ in difficulty in towing? It's true, I tell you. The more expensive to buy, the more expensive to tow, all else being constant. Well! Goodness gracious.

The sooner that insurance companies stop paying for this sort of thing the better, and the lower everyone's premiums will be.

A rhetorical question - should I inadvertantly spoon some grinding paste into the open oil filler cap of my expensive motor, and then drive the thing for a sheepish mile or three, would you be happy that your car insurance premium went up a bit when I was paid off?
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - ForumNeedsModerating
How the insurance co. in question can make a (competitive) profit by paying out for such sheer carelessness, if it's the general case, is beyond me. OP, please do tell the name of the insurer so I can make sure I don't buy any of it's (or the parent company's) shares inadvertantly.
If on the other hand the above example is common practice in assessing & honouring claims, there must surely be a market for an insurance company can offer policies to those willing to assume responsibility for self-inflicted damages in return for lower premiums?
>>OP, please do tell the name of the insurer so I can make sure I don't buy any of it's (or the parent company's) shares inadvertantly.

Woodbines - I too was amazed they paid out, family member has several car and home policies with them but nevertheless still difficult to comprehend. Certainly think twice about buying shares in them but if you find yourself empathising with TOGs and you're prone to forgetting what you're meant to be doing at a given moment in time then it might be worth checking out their rates if they pay out on this type of claim!

As it isn't naming and shaming - far from it IMO - I believe it is a local insurance broker recently sold out to a large national with a name not dissimilar to a large town just off J15 of the M4 with a strong history with GWR and more recently Honda.

X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Ravenger
I'm so paranoid about misfuelling that I even double check the price displayed on the pump's electronic display when you pick up the nozzle to see it matches the price shown on the main petrol station sign. Sometimes that's the most obvious indicator you've got the right fuel.

Maybe pumps could have digitized voices saying the fuel type when you pick up the nozzle. Would make me feel less paranoid about it.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - pleiades
In this day and age of gizmos wouldn't it be fairly easy to build a sort of sniffometer in the filler neck that automatically shuts off the supply if wrong fuel (either petrol or diesel?) Domestic smoke alarms are cheap enough.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - tyro
The question that this raises in my mind is . . .

How long before insurance costs for CR diesels become noticeably higher than those for petrol (& non CR diesel) vehicles?
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - colinh
Any reduction in insurance premiums for Fords with mis-fuelling device? Unlikely.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Mapmaker
So, if the ins co stops paying for repairs, the only answer is to have the car towed to the nearest sink council estate, and leave it with the doors open. It'll soon be torched.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - madf
I am programmed to recognise Black = diesel.

I agree with the muppet description.

After all filling up a car is the nearest most of us get to handling hazardous substances which if spilt could kill us and set the place on fire.

X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - Shaz {p}
Can't remember if misfuels can happen the other way round - i.e. diesel into a petrol car?
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - oldnotbold
I've done it - 6l of petrol into an empty tank, so I brimmed with derv and carried on. Old 405 TD, though, so at only 10% petrol in the tank it was never likely to give it any trouble. You would be highly unlikely to damage any engine at 10%, IMHO.
Not for the purposes of this thread I hope ONB? But if so, that's dedication above & beyond ;)
No Woodbines, it was a simple slip of the brain one day about a year ago! 10% petrol into derv used to be quite common to prevent low temp waxing.
I managed to put 7p of petrol in my diesel car - I was at an Asda filling station that I'd never been to before with pay to display pumps which I'd never seen before and a growing queue behind me. My credit card wouldn't work, so then I used a debit card. I t was all getting a bit fraught by them and I picked up the wrong nozzle - thankfully I realised as I pulled the trigger!

Of course stopping having dispensed just 7p completely messed up the pump and I ended up just driving off and refueling elsewhere!

I now have a routine (as we have petrol and diesel cars) of putting the nozzle in place in the filler neck, then stepping back and rechecking the type of fuel required and the the type of nozzle I've picked up.

Edited by Webmaster on 27/02/2008 at 18:23

X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - craig-pd130
I reckon £7 to £8K is reasonable if you think what SHOULD be replaced: lift pump, high pressure pump, fuel rail, injectors, sensors etc, plus the labour.

It's a bit more involved than simply unbolting & replacing a carb :-)
How can a normal motor insurance policy possibly pay out for a mis-fuel as an 'accident'? Shakes head in bewilderment. It's not an accident, it's a simple mistake with consequences for no-one else but the owner or user of the vehicle concerned.
Here's a tip - the diesel nozzle is always easy to spot, it's the filthy one with all the smelly, greasy, dirty stains on the ground around it.
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - oilrag
I think a good way to beat the conditioning to go for the petrol nozzle is to go to different filling stations when aquiring a diesel.
As the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour, new routines and checks would help.
Best of all if you can inflict self pain, such an an *electric shock, within 0.3 seconds of visualising or
seeing a green handled petrol nozzle. Or in other words, traumatic avoidance Learning.

If its good enough for coyotes.......
(Solomon & Wynne...forgot the date)

Regards ;)

I`ve started salivating now..might as well get lunch ;)

Edited by oilrag on 28/02/2008 at 12:48

X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - CGNorwich
How can a normal motor insurance policy possibly pay out for a mis-fuel as an 'accident'? Shakes head in bewilderment

I find it most most odd that instead of the usual Insurance Company bashing many posters in this thread seem keen that a valid Insurance claim should be turned down on the basis that the driver made a mistake. The making of an error with serious consequences is the very thing most people want to Insure against. I really don'd see how putting the wrong fuel in your car is any less of an accident than say reversing into something . Why the former should render you liable to be called a "muppet" and denied financial recovery for your accident and the second be aceptable is beyond me.

If Insurance Companies were to insert a clause excluding any incident arising out of the lack of attention or carelesness of the Insured I think you would find it would exclude the majority of claims

If Insurance Companies were to insert a clause excluding any incident arising out of the lack of attention or carelesness of the Insured I think you would find it would exclude the majority of claims

Most insurance relies on the principle of 'due care or diligence' (or similar) by the insured person. If I were to claim recompense on home & contents insurance for the breakage of a priceless Ming vase while practicing my juggling skills, would you expect or consider it should be paid?

No, there has to be a line drawn where 'accidents' that are avoidable by the merest application of wit are deemed ex-policy. The logical end to the 'no culpability' approach is ever increasing premiums to pay for others' inability to apply common sense.
Just to question this dubious principle a little further, in the past Backroomers have told tales of their spouses (and others) doing things like pouring anti-freeze into the sump through the oil filler - does this mean the cost of an 'accidental' engine rebuild through such carelessness or ignorance can now be the result of a successful insurance claim?
And does it mean that all the people who have told tales of misfuelling and subsequent big bills have all been to their insurance companies for a hand-out?

Edited by mike hannon on 28/02/2008 at 16:08

Soon to be a thing of the past:

www.theengineer.co.uk/Articles/304429/Misfueling+s...m

"A new device to prevent motorists putting the wrong kind of fuel in their cars has been developed at Wolverhampton University.

The inventor, Martin White a retired Royal Navy Commander, partnered with the Caparo Innovation Centre at Wolverhampton University to develop and license the patent rights for the new device.

The misfuelling problem mainly arises for drivers of diesel cars who accidentally fill up with petrol. The nozzle from a diesel fuel pump is bigger than that from a petrol fuel pump, which prevents drivers accidentally fuelling a petrol car with diesel. "
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - oilrag
I thought some had managed to dribble diesel into petrol cars even though the nozzle won`t fit?
Or is that an urban myth ;)

regards
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - zookeeper
mis -fuelling is tant amount to over inflating ones tyres and then causing a fatal accident, its an avoidable error and should'nt be compensated for with an insurance claim
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - nortones2
All errors are avoidable: so by your reckoning, insurance should not cover collisions unless an act of God?
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - b308
Here's a tip - the diesel nozzle is always easy to spot it's the filthy
one with all the smelly greasy dirty stains on the ground around it.

And as said before - it smells different!
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - zookeeper
would'nt a number plate reader at the pumps be able to activate the appropriate fuel dispenser for the vehicle sitting at the pump, a quick check with DVLA data base cant be that hard to set up and it may even promote misfeuling with vehicles fitted with false plates !!
X5 3.0D + fill of unleaded! Here's your bill sir! - legacylad
Having just returned from a month in the States, I took great care when refueling. At the pumps in the Chevron & Vallero filling stations, the petrol (gas to the locals) always had a black hose. Diesel, from the same pump, had a green hose. I checked, double checked, then thrice checked EVERY time. You do not want to fill a rented Dodge Ram twin cab pickup 5.7 litre V8 Hemi with diesel!
As an aside, last weekend it cost me $212.00, including fully comp insurance and CDW, for four days rental of the beast. Worth every dollar for the experience, even at 11mpg and the recently increased price of $3.42 per gallon. It was a big storm in the Sierras and I was glad not to be messing with chains several times daily. By comparison, my usual mode of transport, a 2.5 Subaru Outback, looked like a toy car.