Shell ESL Donax EBL brake fluid - SlidingPillar
Having just taken delivery of my new car (ok Landrover Defender) I'm now playing the 'read the handbook and work out what fluid is ok where' game.

Googling it and visiting Shell's website told me nothing.

The EBL I think is the higher spec of this fluid (cos the clutch lists EB) and it does say, if I can't get it. DOT 4 may be used. But the car does have ABS and I know DOT 5.1 was meant for some ABS systems. As far as I know - and my web searches confirm, as the DOT number rises (leaving DOT 5 out of the equation as it is silicon) the boiling point rises. So from that point of view, 5.1 is better than 4, which is better than 3. Which makes me think, it ought to have 5.1

Anyone actually know, or can point me in the direction of a web site that says?

Edited by SlidingPillar on 23/02/2008 at 19:38

Shell ESL Donax EBL brake fluid - Chrome
Here you go:

www.h-e-l.co.uk/HEL_Performance_Motorcycle_Brake_L...m
Shell ESL Donax EBL brake fluid - Hamsafar
It may be the extra low viscosity brake fluid which the brake fluid manufacturers have started doing for the newer advanced braking systems. It is available in Halfords for a premium price, I bet you can get a cheaper version in a motor factors.
Shell ESL Donax EBL brake fluid - SlidingPillar
Chrome - that link says little more than I said in my post. I'm stioll none the wiser, although for a novice, I'd recommend reading it.

Hamsafar - now that would not surprise me. I do wish manufacturers would 'product meeting this spec' and not a trade name and leave you guessing if the product you think is an equivalent, actually is. I could even cope with 'spec' and 'we recommend'. The Shell stuff though I've never seen on the shelves, and is not on their website.

Landrover do quote an oil spec which at first sight is mindblowing, but is a common Ford number. Translates to 5w-30 ACEA A1-B1. And a common oil is known to meet, thanks to this forum (old thread from Ford owners).