Peugeot 306 noise - Keith H
I own a Peugeot 306 1.6 XS (96N). I was wondering if anyone could help to identify a noise that appears to come from the front of the car.

The noise occurs when turning at slow speed with about 3/4 lock or more applied while accelerating (eg car parks, mini roundabouts, etc. The noise is a continuous, whining/grumbling noise (ie not a clicking CV joint type noise). It never occurs when the accelerator is not pressed, regardless of speed or amount of steering applied, and this applies whether the car is under engine braking or coasting. The volume/noticeability generally increases as the amount of lock and/or speed increases. Interestingly, the noise also only seems to be present once the car is warmed up.

When driving in slippery conditions recently, the same noise was made when the front wheels accelerated at different speeds without any steering lock applied - so it may be related to the front wheels turning at different speeds, just as they do when turning, particularly in tight circles.

The noise has been present for the last 10k miles (done since early February, until then it had covered 38k miles) but has not increased in severity over that time. There are also sometimes slight hesitations when accelerating through the rev range in 2nd, although this is still brisk and torquey from low revs and I do not believe the performance or handling characteristics of the car are impaired. The hesitations may or may not be related but I thought I would note them.

After a test drive, a Peugeot dealer suggested it was the power steering pump but I am dubious of this as the noise is present under certain conditions when there is no steering and it is only ever present when the car is accelerating.

Any help appreciated, many thanks in advance,
Keith
Peugeot 306 noise - Chambo
Hi did you get it sorted mine is exactly the same ??
Peugeot 306 noise - Keith H
No, it's still there. It's been doing it for 22 months and 27,000 miles and through 3 services and 2 MOTs now! I've had two mechanics drive the car and they've looked for a problem but haven't found one.

In general, it seems to be an extremely reliable, rattle-free, good to drive car -- far better in all 3 respects (apart from outright power) than any of the dozens of brand new Citroens and VWs I've driven for work.
I get the noise when I'm turning with lock full on now the steering is very difficult, almost sounds like the wheels are rubbing the bodywork, I think it may be the steering pump. Think they are £50 exchange. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow at Willoughby's in Beeston see if they can suss it out. If anyone else has a clue please join in :)
Peugeot 306 noise - Hawesy1982
Can i just comment that looking at Keith's profile, this is his first post for 18months, yet he replied within an hour of Chambo's request! That's one very quiet BackRoomer! Hi Keith!
Just went down to the local Peugeot Garage (Willoughbys Beeston Notts, for anyone who needs one) didnt have an appointment, but someone came out to have a look and said it was either my steering pump or steering rack. Now Alexon (Beeston) qouted £110 for a pump and £140 for a steering rack, so I imagine from a garage is going to cost a bit more! He also said that on some power steering cars that you will get a whine or grind if the pinion is at the end of the rack as more pressure is applied to steering pump. Could this be your mystery noise ? ? ?
Peugeot 306 noise - Dan G
I had a very strange noise from my 306, which was linked to engine speed. It turned out to be the power steering pump - they quite often fail on 306's apparently.
I\'m hoping it is the pump as the steering rack looks a more costly option.
Peugeot 306 noise - Ian R. Cook
To comfirm it is the steering pump try listening to the bearings using a long screw driver as a stethoscope,if they are on the way out you will hear a nasty grumbling. Mine went on my 95 xrtd last summer at 96k. At the tme they started making a noise I was 400 miles away in northern Scotland, the pump started dripping on the way home, and dumped what was left of the oil on my drive the moment I got home.£110 sounds a good price. The hardest bit was getting the HP pipe conection undone, soak it easing oil and give a good "tap" to loosen it. Ignore what the Haynes manual says about the pulley wheel being a separate part, on mine it was included in the new pump.Best of luck.
Thanks for that, it was exactly as you said the steering pump, £300 including fitting at a local garage who have been really good to me in the past (Jim Steel for anyone local). I could try and get it of myself, but its wet and cold and I'd rather pay the extra to not get hyperthermia, also they've swapped stuff before that has gone wrong within the year and done a few freebies...Well it lasted 110k and still does excellent MPG these cars have really surprised me. N reg XLtd

Anyone ever done the cambelt??
Peugeot 306 noise - Ian R. Cook
Chambo,
If you are not confident of doing the Steering pump, don\'t go near the cambelt, it\'s a very difficult job due to the confined space on a 306, I\'ve done mine twice , and they were long days believe me. If you do attempt it buy a locking kit for the pinnions/flywheel about £16 by Sykes Pickavant. While you are in there do the pulleys ,tensioner and waterpump.Once again take the Haynes manual as a rough guide, it says the water pump has an O ring seal, mine didn\'t, it was a paper gasket, which needed sealing compound, which of course I didn\'t have. 300 quid sounds steep for the steering pump change which should only take a proper mechanic a couple of hours at the very most, so he will charge you an arm and a leg for a belt /pulley/tensioner change which is a far bigger job.Best of luck.
Peugeot 306 noise - Richard_A
I have the same problem. Grinding / Knocking Noise at Full Lock. This has been going on for a couple of years and no one seems to have found the problem. More recently I have noticed it when driving straight but going over bumps or pot holes. It really was appaent when driving over cobbles. Also noticed it seems to be worse when I have passengers in the car. My local garage thought it was the strut bearing on the near side but after replacing this at £70 the problem is still there. A colleague at work had a listen and thought it might be the stearing rack. The car is going back to garage next week so will update with their findings but don't hold your breath !!
Peugeot 306 noise - KevDGill
If yours is a knocking and it's been getting worse, and only really happens on full lock or when you go over a bump - could it not be something as simple as a CV joint?

Mine's going at the mo (nearside) and it knocks quietly when not on full lock but when turning at speed (well, not that much speed) and gets louder at steeper turns. Kind of a metallic knocking noise.

-- Kev
According to the Peugeot garage you expect that noise on full lock from the pump or a whine, but mine was constant, started on full lock then just went all together. The knocking sounds like other people have said cv joints. Is it usual to replace all of the followers when you do the cambelt?
Peugeot 306 noise - denmark
Hi, I have the exact same problem as Richard A. Can you/anybody confirm that it is the power steering pump? No mecanic wants to agree with me that it could be this pump.