(92-98) 1.9TD - poor start - koootzz
This seems to be quite common with these. I've checked the battery and this is OK, although the voltage measurement is only 12V. Voltage at the glow plug relay is down to 11v then by the time it gets to the glowplugs it is down to 10v. I'm assuming this is the cause of the poor starting - loads of white smoke then lumpy for about 10 - 15 seconds, after that it runs OK - but don't really know where to go with this, I'm used to petrols.
Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/02/2008 at 20:49

ZX 1.9TD poor start - RichardW
10v at the plugs is OK, means some of them are working and they are pulling some juice (2 plugs down and they're tough to start. 3 and they're almost impossible. Almost certainly needs a new set of plugs. Only fit Beru ones (available cheaply from gsfcarparts) - this is not a job you want to do too often. Possibly they have been changed before, but the (difficult) one behind the injection pump has been left - one plug U/S will give the symptoms you describe.
ZX 1.9TD poor start - koootzz
Thanks Richard
All the glowplugs were changed last year, although I did buy em from halfords so i don't know if they're a decent make. Will give the Beru ones a try.

(92-98) 1.9TD - poor start - Jim Reaper
In a 1.9D Avantage I had a succession of problems with faulty pre-heat units. If you have changed the unit and the problem persists IMO the new unit isn?t necessarily to be trusted. I would definitely try another unit as from memory I tried perhaps three before I got one to work effectively.