Buying a used Mazda MX5 - bintang
I have owned 7 cars of this general type to date, MGTC (2 examples) TD, GT, tf and Sunbeam Alpine, Volvo P1800. I would now like an MX5. There don't seem to be many recent model, low mileage examples around so I guess I will have to be prepared for a high price. Can anyone with a post-2005 example kindly comment on what to look for please? I would buy from a Mazda franchise. The Mazda Approved system seems to cover a lot of points. Is it trustworthy in practice?

Buying a used Mazda MX5 - Wilco {P}
Can't help directly as you're looking at Mk 3 models - think with them you need to look at the 2.0 models to get a 'decent' level of performance, although this isn't exactly what the MX5 is all about.

We bought a mk2.5 from a dealer - quality of stock, even on 54 plate cars, was variable so you need to check carefully. They will deal on price too. Warranty seems comprehensive, but like all things you only find out at point of claim, which hasn't happened yet!
Buying a used Mazda MX5 - martint123
I bought a 1990 model 6 years ago. Still going strong, rust free and reliable.
Once they got rid of the popup headlights they weren't proper MX5's any more ;)
Buying a used Mazda MX5 - Vansboy
Current model ARE now attracting reasonable discounts & Mazda backed cheap/free finance deals, so do look carefully, as you might find you might just as well buy new.

This is similar to what happened when Mrs V bought her 'Limited Edition' Montana, there just wasn't enough price difference to make the used route worth considering.

Saying that, there aren't quite as many special/limited editions of the new shape, just yet, so you'd need to make sure the previous owner has spec'd it with the toys YOU want, if you do go used.

They have been showing in auction, though, so if you were happy to buy this way, you'll save a £1000ish!!

Depending on the desire for hard roof, soft top'll save you considerably - but I'd imagine come re-sell time, you'll wish you'd paid the premium for the electric roof!

VB
Buying a used Mazda MX5 - Dereksn51
I've got a mk 3 sports roadster coupe-the one with the metal hood.Had it for a year now with only one problem to report-the hood failed to retract once.turned out to be a dry spigot and was quickly identified and fixed.With regard to engines i went for the 2.0 litre as opposed to the 1.8.My beef with 5's has always been lack of power and this has to a certain extent been satisfactorily addressed by the 2.0.It's quick enough now for an enthusiast not to be embarrassed by bog standard saloons racing away at the traffic lights!The 1.8 is ok but take the extra power everytime.The 2.0 sports has a 6 speed g/box and the 1st to 2nd change is a little recalcitrant when cold-it's the same on all 5 boxes.It gets much better when warm.There is a certain amount of transmission noise on the 6 speed boxes which is apparently a characteristic of the set up caused we owners are told by back lash.There's been many complaints on this particular subject but Mazdz say it's perfectly normal.It only happens when the car is warmed up but it doesn't sound very good on a 20000 pound car.The good news is that after a while you tend not to notice it.Build quality is as you would expect very good but some people have reported rattles which may prove difficult to deal with.Paintwork is decent but the front will be prone to chips being so low down.Check for this.Otherwise they're pretty well bullet-proof as with most Mazdas although that the dealers are no better or no worse than any other dealers.A lot of these cars are cherished and so I wouldn't even think of buying one which looks in any way doubtful.Prices were high at first purely based on supply shortages but they're dropping now and it's definately a buyers market so take your time in choosing.I havn't regretted buying mine and it never fails to bring a smile to my face when driving.Good luck in your search
Buying a used Mazda MX5 - nortones2
Re "Mazdz say it's perfectly normal.It only happens when the car is warmed up but it doesn't sound very good on a 20000 pound car." Its only a £20,000 car here: in Japan its cheaper by far:) Say £13,000 - judged on that basis you'd expect rattles.....