Parking - a one off ? - 2cents

A court case has just finished in this country in which some one who felt they had lost out on a parking space in a supermarket car park was so incensed that they took actions that led to the eventual demise of the other party. This may have been a rare example at the top end of the scale but is it the tip of a growing problem .

Have you ever been the victim of parking rage or wanted to cause harm to some one who you perceived as having taken ' your spot " ?

Parking - a one off ? - moonshine {P}

I pity anyone who gets worked up over a parking space. never had a problem myself, but then I always prefer to park towards the back where there are more spaces. Easier to get the kids in and out and less chance of the car be hit by runaway trollies.
Is the lay out of some car parks to blame. ? You know the sort, where cars are coming from every angle and there is no clearly laid out one way system .
Parking - a one off ? - Round The Bend
Clearly laid out systems are still ignored by a significant number of people.
Parking - a one off ? - bhoy wonder
I do the same as moonshine. How anybody gets worked up over a parking space is beyond me. Then again this is the world we live in today.
Parking - a one off ? - FotheringtonThomas
This reported incident?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/7226643.stm

The case has finished. Various parties have been found guilty:

tinyurl.com/2vbcg3 {edited to provide alternate link to same report}

Rather more than "parking rage", I think.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2008 at 10:21

As I read it, one party took space that another party was attempting to get in to , words where exchanged. It's what follows on that is breathtaking. It's still parking rage but just a two minute bout on the spot. It's clear from my understanding of the court case that what ever the rights and wrongs of whose spot it was, one of the parties has acted totally out of proportion to it.
Parking - a one off ? - Leif
On one occasion I saw a space, drove past it, then reversed in. As I got out of the car this woman came up and started ordering me to get out of her space. She was very angry. I think she was in the car that was 50m or so beyond the space, and reversing when I reversed in. All very odd.

A colleague was being tail gated once. He stopped at lights, got out and asked the driver behind what the problem was. The car occupants beat him up. Turns out according to plod that the occupants were a criminal gang. Hi ho.
Parking - a one off ? - gordonbennet
A colleague was being tail gated once. He stopped at lights got out and asked
the driver behind what the problem was. The car occupants beat him up. Turns out
according to plod that the occupants were a criminal gang. Hi ho.

That doesn't surprise me, the toughies usually require at least 3 to 1 before sufficent bravado builds up.

Did they get nicked though?

Sorry stupid question.

I've got a trick to prevent anyone nipping into a space which i feel i have rightly gained, i cover the space with my car, and only when there's sufficient space in the traffic that no one else could pip me do i pull forward and reverse in (usually on the street parking with parallel reverse).
I would like to have known if this row developed over the very last usable space on the supermarket car park.
On several occasions I have driven around a local supermarket car park and left having found that although there where up to a dozen empty disabled only spots and as many empty mother and baby / toddler, great aunt ones, there where non left for the average shopper.

Their loss, as I simply drive on to the next available supermarket.
Parking - a one off ? - Blue {P}
That's never ever happened to me, where on earth are you going shopping?

St Helens mainly and occasionally Wigan.
Parking - a one off ? - Blue {P}
I thought you were going to say central London or something, very surprising.

Four major supermarkets in a 3 mile sq radius. they have each given over approx one quarter of their car parks to ' priority " parking. Thats one car park less if you add the missing spaces together. Thus, a sizeable amount of parking has been removed.
Four major supermarkets (...) have each given over approx
one quarter of their car parks to ' priority " parking. Thats one car park
less if you add the missing spaces together.

How so? "Priority" parking will be taken up by eligible vehicles. There should be no net change in available spaces..
Parking - a one off ? - normd2
well there's one more available space at my local supermarket - did the shopping in person for the first time in ages last night - a total nightmare, never again, going back to doing it on-line, so much easier and zero stress.
Parking - a one off ? - james86
How so? "Priority" parking will be taken up by eligible vehicles. There should be no
net change in available spaces..

Only if the number of eligible vehicles is equal to the number of spaces which it probably isn't.

At my local Tesco the main car park can get very full while there are a dozen or more priority spaces sat empty. What are we supposed to do then?
Parking - a one off ? - RichieW
In reply to Fotherington Thomas.

Priority parking spaces are made wider so to aid people getting in and out of their cars. Because of this there is usually a net reduction in spaces.

Edited by RichieW on 15/02/2008 at 13:30

Parking - a one off ? - Chris S
When I was a child (1970's) people used to knock on your door and ask if it was OK to park in front of your house - Life On Mars!

Edited by Chris S on 15/02/2008 at 13:35

Parking - a one off ? - zookeeper
what makes me laugh are notices in peoples windows " polite notice own car parking space thankyou" or words to that effect, like they have the given right to be able to park outside their own house ( i wish)

Edited by Webmaster on 20/02/2008 at 10:20

Priority parking spaces are made wider

Ah! I see, I hadn't considered that. I still think a 25% reduction in parking spaces highly unlikely, though. For one thing, it's not in the interest of the car park owner!
Parking - a one off ? - daveyjp
The only time I have ever seen a supermarket car park full is around Christmas. Most open until 10pm or so and plenty now open 24 hours, so no real reason to go when it's busy.

If I ever visit I supoermarket and it looks busy I turn round and leave. If the car park is full, what will it be like trying to actually shop!

As regards situations where there may be limited space I prefer the solution which is on the net. Woman waiting to reverse into space, car occupying space leaves and immediately space is taken by someone arriving into car park. Woman has a rant, but drives off, a while later she returns and lets all the offending car's tyres down.
Criminal damage ?
RTA 1988 S25 "Tampering with a vehicle"?
Whole issue you could be dealt with by means of the one in , one out barrier system on all car parks.
Parking - a one off ? - Mapmaker
2cents You do seem to be a very unlucky sort of chap, what with people parking in front of your drive and stealing your parking spots.
Parking - a one off ? - james86
I'm aware of a situation where a grown man bit another grown man's arm in a debate over a parking space. Can't say any more than that I'm afraid but what a ridiculous thing for grown men to do!
Parking - a one off ? - craneboy
I've noticed these days, when lots of cars are driving around a supermarket carpark when there are no spaces left, the atmosphere is like a powderkeg waiting to go off. My personal pet hate is loading bags of shopping into my boot, only to turn round and see at least three other stationary cars trying to "book" my space with their indicators. May well start shopping online methinks.
Parking - a one off ? - grumpyscot
I've noticed these days when lots of cars are driving around a supermarket carpark when
there are no spaces left the atmosphere is like a powderkeg waiting to go off.
My personal pet hate is loading bags of shopping into my boot only to turn
round and see at least three other stationary cars trying to "book" my space with
their indicators. May well start shopping online methinks.

Funny how they also seem to get upset when, once you've put the bags in the boot, you lock up and start heading back to the supermarket for that well-earned coffee / bacon sarnie. Must admit- I sometimes do that out of sheer devilment!
Parking - a one off ? - Dynamic Dave
Funny how they also seem to get upset when once you've put the bags in
the boot you lock up and start heading back to the supermarket ....

If I see anyone waiting and haven't finished with the parking space I am occupying, I indicate to them that I am not leaving yet.
Parking - a one off ? - freakybacon
Solve the tesco supermarket parking dilemma by shopping at one of the lesser known supermarkets- usually plenty of spaces left at the local aldi/lidl. You never know, you might like it!
Parking - a one off ? - Dipstick
I was going to say not on your nellie, after the news about an issue with their beans, but then I discovered it wasn't them. It was Another Large Supermarket, some long time ago.

Aldi do a cracking own brand chocolate biscuit.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/40818.stm