99 How do I change the battery on one ? - vw owner
Can you please advise how I change the battery on my 99' VW Passat,
I can disconnect it , undo the main hold down bolt, but that's it ? I
can't see how the battery is meant to come out of the compartment
that it is in, all I can see are two options, bend / remove the trim
from the bottom of the window ( not sure how) , or force off the
rubber trim that runs along the fire wall, not sure this is suppose
to happen either ? There must be an easier way.

Can you help?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 11/02/2008 at 20:36

Changing the battery on 99' VW Passat - How do I ? - christo
Not totally familiar with the '99 VW Passat but if it's anything like my old 1999 A4 Avant, the battery is easy to get to to remove. From your description it sounds very similar. The battery is under a plastic cover that runs the width of the engine bay, slots in under the windscreen and is held in place on the top edge of the firewall by a rubber strip. To remove, carefully pull the strip up from one end to the other which will give you an edge of the plastic battery cover. Pull the cover towards you ie towards the front of the car and it should pull away fron the bottom of the windscreen. This will give you access to the battery and also the wiper motor/arms and probably the pollen filter on the passenger side.
Proceed to remove the battery connections and clamp, be careful not to drop anything in the 'scuttle'. Also make sure you have the security code for the radio before removal! The code should be with the VW handbook.
While you have the battery cover off, it's worth checking the drain holes in the bottom of the scuttle. These can get blocked uo over time with leaves, silt etc. There are two holes and one is near to the edge of the battery tray, if you can poke your little finger through then all is ok. If you find water in the bottom then again poke through the drian and it should clear itself. Make sure you check both drain holes.

Good luck.
99 How do I change the battery on one ? - willyb
Did some swearing with the same problem on my 2000 w reg version. Looking from the front of the car there is a black plastic rainwater deflector /collector on the RHS up in the scuttle. Unscrew and remove what you can and it will give you the access you need if its the same model as mine.

Removing the cable clips etc I think relates to the later version and misled me for some time.

MInd your b ack its a
heavy ?pink fluffy dice

Hope this helps

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2008 at 12:49

99 How do I change the battery on one ? - delirious.dave
Hi,

I recently did this myself, and took some photos: www.deliriousdave.com/vw_passat_enthusiasm/battery...p

Hope this helps.

Dave
99 How do I change the battery on one ? - Peter D
The moulded cable harness unclips from the fron plenum chamber metal work and lifts out with it's grommet on the RHS, this allows the battery out. Clean the plenum chamber out ansd ensure both drain holes are clear and flushed out, one under the battery and one under the brake servo. Remove all leaves and debris from the sides and around the ECU case on the left and the pollen filter on the right. Regards Peter
99 How do I change the battery on one ? - Hamsafar
On my TDI the battery was so big, I had to remove the wipers, and the plastic trim their spindles protrude through. In fact it cracked so I had to put a new one on, it was about £15 IIRC.
99 How do I change the battery on one ? - PeterRed
You don't say if it's a petrol or diesel model. Mines a 2000 1.8t and runs like a complete pig after the battery is disconnected. It's all to do with the throttle settings being stored in volatile memory which needs the battery to maintain it. In theory, the engine should sort itself after a period while relearning driving characteristics. In my case, I had 3 days of a very unresponsive engine until I managed to reset the throttle adaptation using VAG-COM.