1998 2.0 CD Petrol - Electrical Fault - srw44uk
When the engine starts cold the Dashboard & all Lights & Electrics flash for approx 90 seconds. which makes the rpm jump slightly every second, sounds similar to a choke upping the rev's to warm the engine up but it makes a noise as if something has switched off in the engine when is decides to run normal after the 90 seconds. can it be bad earth or relay??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/02/2008 at 00:01

1998 2.0 CD Petrol - Electrical Fault - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Maybe a long shot but under the bonnet is a fan/ air pump arrangement that forces air into the exhaust manifold to dilute the rich, cold start, exhaust gas and give the catalytic converter a faster start up. The motor is reasonably hefty but can partially sieze and draw lot of current. It normally switches off after a minute or so once the engine has warmed a bit so it seems to fit. The pump is normally audible under the bonnet and is th size of about 4 saucers stacked together on edge, black plastic on the nearside inner wing with a couple of large-ish air hoses.
BUT not all of them have it.
HTH Andrew

1998 2.0 CD Petrol - Electrical Fault - SpamCan61 {P}
I'd agree the secondary air injection pump is a good palce to start, one of my 2 litre Omegas went through a phase where the pump wouldn't start up properly, the lights flickered for a few seconds, loud whirring noise from under the bonnet. Unlike the X20XEV Vectra, where the pump location / size is as described, I think the pump is accessed from underneath the nearside wing on the Omega, I'll try and check when I get home.