2003 330Ci - BMW Diagnostic Kits for Laptop - Aloo Bazi
Hi All,

I have a 2003 "03" reg BMW 330Ci.

Recently I have the MIL "Check Engine" light up on my dashboard. The car is very sluggish lower MPG and the idle rate rev counter when stationary is hopping up and down.

I suspect I have emissions related problem on my car, maybe its one of the oxygen/lambda probe sensors faulty. Since my car has 2 sensors (one at the front exhaust visible on the engine block and one at the rear exhaust under the car) I dont know which one is faulty for sure.

If I take my car to a garage for a diagnostic check it will cost me anything from £40 upto £100 and then repair costs added on extra.

I was thinking of buying a Diagnostic Kit to connect to my laptop and do the diagnostic check my self.

I have seen may several types on the internet for sale the most prominent ones to come up on the searches are Carsoft 6.5 Kit and the ELM327 Kit.

As far as I can understand the Carsoft kit is specific for BMW cars and the ELM327 kit is more generic to most cars (Ford/Vauxhaul/Japanese)

Can any one tell me,

Which one is best to buy that will check all or majority of the functionality on my car like, engine,ABS,Air Bag, brakes, electrics etc etc and also be able to reset all the fault codes/lights?

Also will any of these kits be compatible with my laptop running on Windows Vista?

Thanking you all in advance for replies
:-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/02/2008 at 12:37

2003 330Ci - BMW Diagnostic Kits for Laptop - Screwloose

The last time I looked at Carsoft; it was near dealer-level and several thousand up front and hundreds a time for the regular upgrades. ELM should normally work - but with Vista??

You may only need the Mk I earhole to diagnose your fault. With it idling; can you hear hissing coming from under the front of the inlet manifold? [Don't get anything caught in the fan! Use a piece of hose if needed.]