Battery Recommendations? - Dizzy {P}
The signs are that I'm close to needing a new battery on my 1992 BMW 525i automatic. I thought I'd get a quote from the local BMW dealer but also from a couple of other sources.

I'm after a good quality battery at a reasonable price; the trouble is I am out of touch with the technology and don't know what to look for. Can any Backroomer please advise if there is much difference between them, eg. would a battery with a three-year guarantee be built any differently to one with a two-year guarantee? And what makes would you recommend (or NOT recommend)? Thanks!
Battery Recommendations? - Dave N
I read in the trade press that Unipart were offering a life-time warranty on replacement batteries.

I think you'll find that the 2 and 3 year warranty batteries are the same, only difference being the price.
Battery Recommendations? - M.M
Dizzy,

I buy the "standard unbranded" 2/3yr warranty batteries and that seems the value type folks want. These are available at a good price in the Queen Street shop.

If youy said I'd rather pay more for a better one I'd go straight for Bosch which will be perhaps £15 dearer.

Is your BMW a "very dark" estate with a new set of Conti's?

David
Battery Recommendations? - David Lacey
I'd go for a Bosch battery every time - I've been caught out by apparently good (cheap) batteries before.

Steer clear of the cheap imported batteries

Unipart 'Sampson' batteries are not all they're cracked up to be - made by Exide (I think..) we replaced many during their early lives. Now don't do them, too much hassle.

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
Having the two expert Davids recommend Bosch is good enough for me! I have a lot of respect for Bosch motor vehicle products but had forgotten that they market car batteries.

David W:
My car is a Diamond Black estate and is fitted with Conti tyres. These are still the old ones but I keep them clean and they look quite new from the side. The treads have a good 3000 miles left in them but I am about to buy a new set because (a) I like a good depth of tread and (b) I don't expect to keep the car more than another year or so and I may as well get the benefit of new tyres myself rather than fit a set just before I sell it.

You mentioned the Queen Street shop in Whittlesey. Phil, the owner, intentionally sells cheaper qualities of most things. Sometimes he advises customers against the cheaper stuff (like oil) but he still stocks it because that is what many of his customers demand. He once gave me a sample of a little known brand of oil filter which he was able to buy and sell quite cheaply and he asked me to take it apart and comment on the quality because he didn't want to sell second-rate filters. I took the filter to a friend of mine who is a recognised expert in this type of product and tries to keep up-to-date for professional reasons. He sectioned it and thoroughly inspected and measured it before producing a written report showing that it was excellent in every way (filtration material and area, valving, freedom from swarf, etc. etc.). I gave the report to Phil but the manufacturers had just told him that they would no longer supply small outlets such as his!

Thanks to all for the battery info!
Dave N:
I suspect you are right about 2-year and 3-year guarantee batteries having no difference other than the length of the guarantee. Even though Unipart may be offering a lifetime guarantee I will give them a miss based on David L's advice.

By the way, in remarking about the "two expert Davids" I was not suggesting that you were not an expert! I note that all the postings on this topic came from Davids. We are a force to be reckoned with!

Dizzy David.
Can I please be Dopey David?

:-)

Battery Recommendations? - Dave N
Dizzy, don't worry, I'm not an expert, least not where batteries are concerned. Ha, some would say I'm no expert where anything is concerned!
Battery Recommendations? - Roger K.

My original equipment Unipart battery lasted 14 years!
I now use Lucas supplied by Halfords, who never quibble over any fault.
That's the main thing today - no quibble warranties

Must be built into the price of the battery in the first place...

Roger,

The battery on my Triumph 2500 is made by Lucas. I bought it about six years ago and it isn't very well looked after since I don't use the car in the winter and never think to give it top-up charges. Also, these days I use the Triumph mainly for very short runs, often just in and out of the garage for a wash and polish! Even so, the battery holds its charge very well and always spins the engine fast enough for a quick start.

Yes, Lucas is also worth considering and I will check Halfords' price tomorrow. Thanks for the prompt.
Battery Recommendations? - johnCD
An alternative to Bosch in my opinion is Varta. I have two Isuzu Troopers 10 and 11 years old. Original batteries died at 5 years and were replaced with Vartas which still seem to be turning the engines over as quickly as when they were new. I've used them in other cars before but can't comment on guarantees because I've never had a problem.
The battery failed to start the BMW this morning despite having been on charge for the past 24 hours. I switched off after the starter had been engaged for about 5 seconds because it was obvious it wasn't turning fast enough to start the engine. I tried the headlights but they would give no more than an orange glow so the fault was clearly with the battery or its connections, not the starter motor.

I then connected the BMW and Triumph batteries together with jump leads extended in length with bits of fairly thin electrical cable. The headlights shone brightly, thus eliminating the possibility of bad electrical connections. Also the engine spun quite fast when the starter was engaged, despite the very thin jump cables. On disconnecting the jump leads and switching on the headlights again, these faded to an orange glow after a few seconds. I think this confirms that the BMW battery is defunct.

The existing battery is branded BMW but is made by Varta. It may well be the original, especially since (a) it is located underneath the rear seat, away from the heat of the engine and (b) it is HUGE and likely to have never been under stress. If Varta is good enough for BMW to put its name on then, as JohnCD suggests, I will look for this make as an alternative to Bosch when I go shopping for a new battery tomorrow.
Battery Recommendations? - Daedalus
Dizzy

I put a Bosch silver technology battery in the Mondeo estate and hve had no problems in the last 8 months with it. I always get the ones with more boost for starting on our cars. In the past I have used Fulminite (lasted 5 years) and Delco which is in the garage and I use it as a spare just in case, it was on our old Passat for about 4 years and holds a good charge even now, I just top it up every now and then. But yea Bosch!

Bill
Battery Recommendations? - lezebre
Maybe your srategy on the tyres shows the thoughtfulness in your motoring decicions worthy of a Backroomer, so given that the premium for a Varta or Bosch is going to be large for your BM application, why pay it if you are not going to keep the car? Better to play off the reputable fast fit chains for the best price on an Own-brand. Just about any battery should be trouble free for 1 to 2 years.
Battery Recommendations? - johnCD
Sorry, I can't agree that almost any battery will do in the short term. I had a Granada battery fail recently and called out a er well known motoring organisation to get the car started. The operative asked me where I was going (I said the local Varta agent). He said that was fine but not to go to Quickfit because their batteries were "expensive c***" and caused him no end of callbacks.
Thanks again to all for your help! I'm now up and running again.

Europarts offered a choice of batteries but I'm fairly sure that none were right for my car (it needs to be very shallow as it sits under the rear seat). The nearest, so far as I could tell, was a Bosch at £72 delivered. No good if it won't fit though.

The local Halfords Superstore didn't have any Lucas batteries. They had their own brand (which may come from Lucas) but these were smaller than mine and didn't appear to be worth the £70 asking price. They also stocked Bosch Silver Technology, but my car wasn't listed.

A call to the local BMW parts dept brought the offer of a branded BMW battery for £65, with one in stock and ready charged. This battery looked very similar to my old one (BMW/Varta) but included a state-of-charge indicator and was rated at 640 amps instead of 380 amps - ideal for jump-starting Centurion tanks! It also had provision for fitting the vent pipe that is essential for under-seat location. It oozed quality.

So again I have found BMW parts prices to be on a par or even lower than others. I bought the BMW battery and it whipped the engine over like a turbine. Not only can I now be confident in not having to buy another battery for this car but having the genuine item may also help when I come to sell it. Incidentally, the old battery was the original fitment, so it hadn't done badly to last 10 years.

A previous experience: Some years ago I bought a battery made by 'The Fenland Battery Company' of Railway Road, Wisbech. The battery failed within a few weeks so I wrote to claim replacement under guarantee. No response so I wrote again. Still no response so I wrote a third time, stating my intention to start proceedings if the guarantee wasn't honoured. My third letter came back marked 'gone away' so I decided to visit the manufacturer's premises myself, Wisbech being some 20 miles away. The 'factory' turned out to be a garden shed at the rear of a terraced house and the occupants had indeed 'gone away'. I was told by neighbours that what I had bought was an old battery in a new case.

Battery Recommendations? - jc
Ther best batteries I ever owned were forty years ago-they were a pair of 6 v. made by Lin-con batteries.I now notice Lin-Con is still in business on the outskirts of Southend-on-Sea.
Battery Recommendations? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Personally I ALWAYS fit Delco batteries from the local GM dealer now. At Trade Club prices you can't beat them for value and reliability.