1997 1.8T Sport sound system - stuart1077
I have recently bought a very nice 1997 Audi A4 1.8T Sport which has every conceivable extra including leather and climate control but a cassette deck where I would expect to find a CD player.

I would like to upgrade it from the existing Audi 'Gamma' head unit to a CD player but would like to find the equivalent unit with a CD player. Does anyone know what I would need to buy so that it fits the bigger space in the dash and so that the display in the dial binnacle still operates and where to find one without going to the main dealer!!!

Thanks
Stuart

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 03/02/2008 at 13:46

1997 1.8T Sport sound system - adverse camber
ebay.

I'm told that the blaupunct units will work the dash display but nothing else.

There are issues though - Im trying to justify sorting this myself on a 98 A4 -

1) the VAG units suffer a problem with the volume dials - they fail. All of them - its just a matter of when.

2) To fit a non-vag unit you will need an aerial adapter (its a powered aerial amp and needs a live feed on it apparently)+ a fascia adapter (because the original units are not iso) + wiring adapter. Altogether = £££

Do you have the BOSE system - it will be written on the speakers if you do.

If so then I think all speakers are amplified.

If not then the rear speakers are amplified - amps are next to the speakers, Recommended solution is to bypass the amps and run new speaker cable from the head unit to the speakers direct.

Have you checked in teh boot? We have an audi CD multichanger in the boot and I think many cars come with the cable installed - you just need to add CD changer (and again the word on the forums is that you cant use any changer it has to be the VAG one)

Does your head unit handle CDs? Ours is a concert and has a mode button which switches to the multichanger.
1997 1.8T Sport sound system - stuart1077
I have now decided to fit a Sony single CD head unit and have ordered the plates that fit on either side to reduce the hole in the dash down to the side of a standard head unit.

The only thing is... how do you get the old unit out?? Its an Audi Gamma cassette radio unit.

Thanks Stuart
1997 1.8T Sport sound system - adverse camber
there is a specific tool :)

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/celsus-vwaudi-radio-relea...l

I think is the one you need.

prob available cheaper on ebay etc