2004 1.5dci can I use VW spec oil? - BobG
I have 5 litres of Halfords 5W40 turbo diesel oil which I was going to use in a previouos car. The oil is only rated at VW505.01 and has no ACEA specs on the container. I need B3 or B4 quality. My local garage mechanic recons that the Vw spec is at least this quality but these common rail motors are too expensive to fix to take any risks. Does anyone know if it is safe or should I get rid of it? Thanks.
2004 1.5dci can I use VW spec oil? - craig-pd130
I can't say yes or no for certain, but 505.01 spec is very high lubricity because of the extraordinary loadings the VAG PD motors put on the cams and followers.

Just my opinion but I'd say if it's good enough to meet 505.01 then it should be fine in the DCI
2004 1.5dci can I use VW spec oil? - cheddar
I would use precisely what Renault recommend, the manufacturers recommendations are more important than the ACEA etc specs.
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the late reply but a "half hour job" kept me away from the computer all day! The advice from Renault is to use a B3 or B4 spec oil for full milage changes and anything from B2 upwards for 6K changes. Viscosity anything from 10-40 to 0-40. I change at 4.5k.
2004 1.5dci can I use VW spec oil? - Screwloose
Bob

I can't think that it's going to be a real problem; but why not get some suitable oil and just use this can up at a litre with every fill.
2004 1.5dci can I use VW spec oil? - Number_Cruncher
the manufacturers recommendations are more important than the ACEA etc specs.

I don't think it's that simple.

For some specific engines, with particular design features, notably VW PD engines, it definitely is true, you need to use the correct oil for both the engine and the servicing regime you are running it under.

However, for the majority of engines, the ACEA specs are the relevant ones. In this case, Renault quote the ACEA specs, so that's what should be followed.

Number_Cruncher
2004 1.5dci can I use VW spec oil? - cheddar
case Renault quote the ACEA specs so that's what should be followed.

I agree cos that is Renault's recommedation however VAG quote there own specs as do BMW, Ford etc, the Ford spec is for a 5w-30 semi-synth, there are people that are tempted to use a synth that is not to the Ford spec though have a higher ACEA rating, chances are it would be OK though I would go with the car manufactuers spec not the ACEA rating of the oil.

Unless, as with this case the car manufacturer quotes an ACEA rating.
2004 1.5dci can I use VW spec oil? - DP
I've just used Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W/40 fully synthetic (carries ACEA B4, API SL/CF, VW 502.00 and 505.00, Porsche, Opel, Mercedes-Benz and BMW Longlife approvals) in a mid-term change on my 2004 Scenic 1.9dCi. This was recommended for this engine by the oil supplier that I used. I've done about 500 miles on it now - not a drop used and the engine is running beautifully.

My understanding is that these engines can use any good quality 5W/40 synthetic oil which carries ACEA B4 approval.

Renault are heavily in bed with Elf (the sticker on the back window even has an Elf logo on it) and only recommend Elf Excellium, but this is near-impossible to source outside of Renault dealers which suggests to me that the Elf recommendation is marketing-led rather than based on any technical requirement.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 02/02/2008 at 23:42

I'm going to take the advice here and get some B4 standard diesel oil. I'll use the other stuff for topping up with over the next year or so and put the rest into my motor mower.