1998 1.4e RT - Cutting out - TwoTeasPlease
Hi folks, hope you can help.

My Megane (1998 1.4e RT 8 valve) has recently developed a problem with cutting out, it's happened to me 3 times now.

First time - started engine, drove away. Just round the corner from my house the car started to feel like it was losing power, just like a bit of a splutter. When I got to the junction I stopped and when I went to move away in first it stalled and wouldn't restart. It was dead for abour 15 mins during which time I tried at intervals to start it (pretty sure I didn't flood it). Eventually it did start and then was fine for about 3 days. I thought water must have got in as we'd had heavy rain.

Second and third time - both times it happened a short distance from home but when I felt it spluttering I was able to pull over and let the engine tick over for a minute thus avoiding any stalling.

All I can really say is that it's never happened once the engine has warmed up and the symptoms are very similar to when I had water ingress in a previous car (a Hyundai). If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful, many thanks!

Edited by Webmaster on 28/01/2008 at 22:17

1998 1.4e RT - Cutting out - Screwloose
TTP

It's not a typical case; but I'm wondering if the plug on the crank sensor could cause this? That might fit with the water concern.

Worth a quick check, the sensor's right on top of the clutch housing, held with two small bolts.

There are plenty of other candidates; everything from a bad earth on the ECU to a failing coilpack.
1998 1.4e RT - Cutting out - cheddar
Agree re crank sensor, easy to get at, can be cleaned which might help or otherwise might need replacement.
1998 1.4e RT - Cutting out - TwoTeasPlease
Thanks folks, I'll get that checked out and hopefully that will sort it. I've never had my hand out of my pocket with this car it's a money pit!