Personalised plates - dan
After some thought l have posted this in technical as it might prove informative to future searchers.
I am interested in getting a private plate. I see that predictably the plate market resembles the early days of web design, a few cowboys trading on the ignorance of others. (Some would say the motoring trade has always been like that!)
From what l can gather the following is true (and corrections would be massively welcome):

1.Future millenium plates can be reserved if not deemed worthy of auction by the DVLA.

2.Unissued plates may be requested from the DVLA which l THINK applies equally to historic PREFIX (Y999 AAA) and Millenium plates. This is assuming that the DVLA haven't decided it spells 'donkey' if you squint, and reserved it for auction.

3.SUFFIX (AAA 999Y)format plates are apparently no longer available AT ALL except through private transfer (go on, find it if you can!) or again auction/one of the numerous plate dealers.

4.Certain letters (Q etc) and numbers (10,20,100,200 etc..) are not issue-able until the DVLA decide otherwise.

Despite my research, l am unable to find out why SUFFIX plates are unavailable (simply phased out l guess) even when they have not been issued.

I also don't understand the current state of play with E and F PREFIX registrations. Perhaps one of the older heads on this site can enlighten me. Apparently these were restricted but now only some number combinations are still unavailable.

I am particularly interested in an F reg plate (format F999 AAA) the letters do not spell anything offensive and the numbers are not any of the normally restricted combinations. It hasn't been issued so logically l can phone up the DVLA, request this number and unless they want to get greedy about it, it should be relatively straight forward. Yes?

Please comment/correct, many thanks,
dan
Well l called.
Both PREFIX and SUFFIX plates are available. There are two methods of obtaining desired plates:
NON-AUCTION this involves buying direct from the DVLA but is limited to certain number combinations for each date letter. E.g. A to F reg PREFIX, you can buy number combinations from 1 - 20. Later letters have more combinations available. Note that E and F have not even had 1-20 released and ther is a current waiting list of 1200 looking for an E or F 1-20 AAA format plate.

AUCTION for everything else. They take your requirements and your details and you are informed when your choice has been released to auction. This is the same for both SUFFIX and PREFIX plates. About 400 of each are randomly selected 3 times a year for auction in Leeds. You are invited to attend or bid by phone or prebid by mail when your reg comes up.

One thing l wasn't able to ascertain was whether your requirements went into a pool along with everyone elses from which these 800 are 'randomly' selected or whether the selection comes from the all the mind bogglingly large number of possible valid combinations and you are simply informed when it comes up. (I hope the former otherwise it would be like winning the lottery!)

One thing was obvious from the conversation on the phone, she wasn't at all surprised when l said it was all a bit confusing and seemed to agree with comments about how obscure/incomplete the information on it was to the public. That's all.
dan
Personalised plates - David Lacey
Another disorganised government dept, perhaps Dan?

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
Personalised plates - Roger K.
Try a search at: www.newreg.co.uk

They say that they may be able to obtain the number you want.
The site contains lots of useful info.
Yeah common 'con job'. They get them from the DVLA if they are direct sale number combinations. I've heard of a chap who saw the reg advertised for £650 from one of these companies, then went to the DVLA direct just out of curiosity and found the EXACT reg for £250. It had never been issued. For a laugh after he secured it, he went to the reg company and asked for the same reg'.... they took all his details and ....he never heard from them again.

All they do is either buy on your behalf from the DVLA(after adding several hundred pounds to the price) or stock up potential plates from auctions, and sell them on (with sev hund £ added). (both methods are available to you directly!)

The numbers l want are un-issued. The only problem l have now is the cowboy from newreg.com outbidding me at the auction! (oh and waiting for the 'random' process to select them for issue)

dan
Personalised plates - Alyn Beattie
Dan

Try this DVLA site. A lot of information. (And a dam sight easier than trying to telephone them)

www.dvla-som.co.uk/
Alyn Beattie
Personalised plates - Richard Turpin
i am in the process of transferring a plate. My local office is Wimbledon. I sent all the papers and cheque on 30.4.02 and to date (16.6.02) have heard nothing. I tried ringing and could only be told that according to their computer the application had been received, but I was not allowed any more information but I was given a Fax No. I have faxed, so has the transferee. No reply. It's amazing that they can get away with being uncontactable, except by fax to which they don't ever reply.
Personalised plates - TrevorP
In Bournemouth, they did it for me over the counter.

The V5 had to be sent to DVLA for ratification, but they gave me a re-allocated mumber for my old car, and officially stamped the tax disc and MOT on the spot - half an hour.

Personalised plates - M.M
Richard,

You must be unlucky with that office, our local one did the last transfer for me recently in four days...with post at both ends (I sent docs to them, they posted back) included in that time.

David W
Personalised plates - BrianW
If you can get to the Licensing Office then do so.
It took less than half an hour locally and the registration document with the new number came through in a few days.