Modern Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - BMDUBYA
Over in the technical forum, there is a discussion going on about Pug HDi's. these engines require elosys additive to, very simply, 'clean up' the exhaust gases. My question is this, do all new diesel engines have this 'additive' or is it just Pug derived engines. Apologies if this should have been posted in Technical, Mods, please feel free to move.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 24/01/2008 at 19:35

Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - adverse camber
As I understand it, its all to do with Euro 4 emissions standards. The issue isn't gasses as such but particulates. I think the HDi is the only one that uses the additive but other makers will have their own systems for particulate filters. Don't VW call theirs DPF?

How much of an issue this is going to be I dont know. If you were to remove the particulate filter would that have an impact? The HDi is available with and without the filter (I think the lower power versions dont have the filter). There is a pressure sensor but I dont know if that picks up insufficient pressure across the FAP as well as too much, or what action the ECU takes in such situations.

These filters will certainly stuff the used values of car fitted with them.
Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - smokescreen
These filters will certainly stuff the used values of car fitted with them.

Wouldnt agree, I dont think the mass public are that aware of these systems at all.
Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - adverse camber
except that many owners dont seem to know how/why they work so you get a situation where cars get a reputation for strange expensive faults. FAP -> FUD
Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - b308
Like cats on petrol cars - they'll learn to live with them just the same..
Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - madf
I undestand they need topping up after 50k miles or so.

How many private buyers keep a new car that long?

And fleet owners who do get BIG discounts on servicing.

And how many owners look at service costs before they buy? Judging by posts here, very few! :-)

Edited by madf on 24/01/2008 at 21:39

Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - Old Navy
Do any Euro 4 diesels exist that dont use these addidive systems? My focus 2.0 tdci has a Euro 3 engine, no additives as far as I know. Can I replace it with a newish additive free diesel car in a couple of years time?

Edited by Old Navy on 25/01/2008 at 09:20

Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - Ravenger
The 1.8TDCi fitted to some C-Max and Focus cars doesn't use additive. I've got one on my 06 C-Max, and it's Euro IV standard allegedly.
Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - Roly93
Do any Euro 4 diesels exist that dont use these addidive systems? My focus 2.0
tdci has a Euro 3 engine no additives as far as I know. Can I

Most VaG cars dont use any additive, because I believe they periodically run a regeneration cycle to burn off the particulate filter gunge. I think this ios done by periodically adjusting the fueling to raise the EGT. I however think on some of the very exotic diesels Audi and VW are bringing out soon they will be using a Urea (yes you did read right) based fluid to cut down exhaust emmisions.
Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - Screwloose
I however think on some of the very
exotic diesels Audi and VW are bringing out soon they will be using a Urea
(yes you did read right) based fluid to cut down exhaust emmisions.

Yes; like the trucks are now, you'll soon be hauling around a 5-gallon tank of pig wee - don't be following the car that starts regenerating with a pipe leak.....

Why are diesel drivers whinging about DPF servicing costs? Greenoidism costs [wastes] money - think how much it costs petrol drivers in the same 50K period to drag a cat around.

Depending on consumption; you'll need around £5000-£25,000s worth of petrol. as having a cat costs at least 15% of that, thats £750-£3,750 in emission-reduction costs - makes £6-900 for a FAP-and-fill look cheap.
Moden Diesels & Diesel Particulate Additive - rtj70
My Mondeo (53 plate) was one of the early Mondeo TDCi's that were Euro IV - I hung on to pay less tac on a company car.

Current Mazda6 diesel has a FAP but no additives needed. Worst case you drive it hard to burn the emissions off the filter. But the previous model Sport Mazda6 diesel emitted more than the current one :-(