Four protocols re Mobile Phone - Dwight Van Driver
You all know it is WRONG to use a mobile when driving (motoring connection PU) but are yopu aware of the following just circulated amongst Old Plods:

4 THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNEW YOUR MOBILE PHONE COULD DO
There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.
Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to
drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).
Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!"

THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

FOURTH How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone! * # 0 6 #
A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

dvd
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - Leif
I think these are partially or wholly false. For example, number 2 will not work because the mobile sends audible sound (and not very well reproduced) whereas car keys work on some other signal (radio waves possiby).
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - smokescreen
The third one adjusts the rate of call quality. The code in your post sets enhanced full rate (i.e. the default standard) so wouldnt actually increase battery life on a GSM phone. Need to activate half rate decoder for the extra 30% talk time.

Four protocols re Mobile Phone - Lou_O
Debunked at snopes:

www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp

Four protocols re Mobile Phone - Dwight Van Driver
Whoops guys.

Sorry (lays prostrate in ashes)

dvd
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - normd2
right - the remote keyless entry by mobile phone works (got some very odd looks standing out in the rain next to Jim's Accord) but the *3370# just gives me 'unknown command' on my Sony Ericsson.
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - SpamCan61 {P}
Most of those codes only work on Nokia stuff, plenty of links to some of the codes on the web, for example:-

www.programmerworld.net/articles/tips/nokia_codes....p

Some info for Sony Ericsson here:-

twilightwap.com/mobile/secrets.asp?phone=SonyErics...n

*#06# to display IMEI ( phone equivalent of VIN) does seem to work for a variety of manufacturers.
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - movilogo
Point # 1 & 4 are quite well known.

#2 & #3 are phone & car specific.

Regarding, 112 - it works only within European Union! In USA, dial 911 and in other countries you need to know the emergency numbers!

112 works in EU even if you have no credit in your phone.

Four protocols re Mobile Phone - pyruse
#2 can only possibly work if the remote uses sound. And I can't think of any that do.
They are mostly RF or Infrared.
Those using RF use a completely different frequency band to phones - if they didn't they wouldn't work properly.
So I don't believe number 2 at all.
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - mike hannon
Neither do I.
If it were true you could use a 'silent' dog whistle over your mobile to wake up your pooch!
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - David Horn
Point 2 (keyless entry) is absolute poop.
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - martint123
Would respectfully suggest thread is hidden or deleted to save a well respected posters reputations (sorry).
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - retgwte
FIRST Emergency

Yes 112 is a powerful number, with special powers, if you use it and you would otherwise have been unable to make a call due to too many calls already in progress in that cell then the base station will drop somebody elses call to allow you to make a call, also as mentioned if you cannot get a signal from your own provider it will be able to make a call on any cell from any other provider (there is no other way in the UK to get a O2 set to dial out through a vodafone base station etc), its works anywhere with GSM unlike 999, etc. a very powerful number for emergencies, wouldnt go testing it though they get too many false calls already

SECOND Have you locked your keys in the car?

Depends I guess on which type of remote you have, most Im sure would not work this way

THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Dunno? does this work on any phones? anyone tried it?

FOURTH How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

Not if youre stolen phone gets shipped to Nigeria or similar, where many stolen UK phones go, they all work perfectly there

Four protocols re Mobile Phone - maz64
this number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

The emergency services will love you for that :-)

Don't UK phones convert 999 to 112?
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - maz64
I know at least one of the local cars remote entry system is RF because it occasionally sets off our wireless doorbell. We know it's not someone at the door because it plays a tune, instead of just the ding dong you get when the doorbell button is pressed...
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - normd2
on the way out the office last night another guy demonstrated a neat (?) trick - holding up his two year old Focus's key he pressed the unlock button. The car at the far end of the car park did not respond - he then held the tip of the key against his forehead and pressed the button again - this time the flashers flashed and the car unlocked...
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - mike hannon
I'm no technical expert but it sounds as though the capacitance of his head - or his body - boosted the antenna of his sender.
Years ago when touch controls first appeared on things like colour TVs you sometimes had to lick your fingertip to make them work.
Similar result - increased capacitance triggers diode or whatever.
Four protocols re Mobile Phone - retgwte
Don't UK phones convert 999 to 112?

no is the short answer, its a bit more complicated tho