01 1.0 petrol won't start after break down - SteveM43
Folks

I'm not expecting any detailed assistance here, just some words of wisdom and/or encouragement. I'm not great with older cars, but my son's 7 year old 1.0 Corsa broke down on the M25 last night and had to be towed. Apparently there was a high pitched whine from the engine, some black smoke came out the back, the engine warning light came on, and it stopped. It now turns over but won't start.

I've booked it into a garage on Monday, but do these symptoms lead to any obvious conclusions (that me being mechanically minded can't see)? I'm just fretting about whether it might cost my son (or me) an arm and a leg....

Thanks for any words of advice!

Steve

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/01/2008 at 16:56

01 1.0 petrol won't start after break down - Screwloose
Steve

The first thing that always comes to mind on the Z10 is the timing chain. How does it crank? Too fast?

Can you see any fuel being injected down the throat when cranked? Had a plug out?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/01/2008 at 16:55

01 1.0 petrol won't start after break down - SteveM43
Hi there

I think it's a bit worse.....under the telephone directions from a friendly (but geographically remote) mechanic, we seem to have established that a likely cause is that the radiator was empty of water, the car overheated and the engine siezed. I'm hoping that's not the case, but I understand from my son that shortly before the car died, the heating stopped. He doesn't know if the temperature gauge went through the roof.....

So I might be on the look out for a reconditioned 1.0L Corsa engine. Any ideas?!!