To Change Or............. - R75
Have been given the opportunity to buy a 2002 Rover 75 CDT Club, it does have 120k on the clock but I know it's history from new and it has never missed a beat (not that that counts for anything!!)

The price being asked is a fair bit below similar cars on Autotrader and I am using it at the moment to see if I like it.

Now, do I get rid of my 10 year old but very reliable Honda Aerodeck and take the plunge or do I just stick to what I have got?

Anyone who has run one of these over 120k I would welcome comments from.
To Change Or............. - Pugugly {P}
Take the plunge. Final analasys - Do you like it ?
I do actually like it, it is a nice drive and will cut my fuel bill by quite a bit, as well as being cheaper on tax - just not too sure about reliability!!! But then I hope having the BMW lump up front it should be ok!!!!!!!
To Change Or............. - Avant
It's a gamble, isn't it! The engine will probably be fine but the rest of the car is perhaps more of a risk.

If it were me I think I'd keep the Honda until it goes badly wrong and it isn't economic to repair it - then look for an affordable Accord or Civic if you like Hondas, or maybe a Toyota, Nissan, Mazda or Skoda if you want a change to something equally reliable.

Edited by Avant on 16/01/2008 at 23:58

To Change Or............. - Collos25
I am running a 75 tourer 1.8 at the and I think its superb bought to sell but it needed a new gasget I like it that much have decided to run it as my own car and its one of nicest cars I have driven no problem with parts just a lovely well made car.
To Change Or............. - bbroomlea{P}
I wouldnt worry too much about the mileage. I had a 75 CDT before I got my Audi and ran it to 225,000 miles. Although I didnt do all of those miles, I did have the receipt for everything that was done and to be fair it didnt need much more than ordinary service and a couple of suspension bits around 200K (they were 3 series bits so no parts probs on engine and lots of the underneath)

I wish I had kept it now and saved myself £250 a month as it was probably one of the best cars I have owned! Its still taxed on DVLA and I sold it 2 years ago so its miles must still be piling up!

To Change Or............. - EoinM
do your sums. if it is going VERY cheap how long before the running costs saving would cover the price of the car? Also the cost saving could cover repairs if you were unlucky. If the car is a good one and has been properly looked after since new I would go for it. Vastly under-rated car IMO.
To Change Or............. - Blue {P}
Good car, go for it.

Thank you for the replies - after 1 week and 300 miles I have decided that it is worth a go. So soon I shall be saying a fond farewell to my trusty old jelopy, the Accord Aerodeck, it has done well over the last 14 months, cost hardly more then normal servicing and never missed a beat - It will be interesting to see how much it sells for so I can then work out just how much it has cost over the 14 months!

I hope the 75 proves to be as reliable! (no reason that it should not, I might add)
To Change Or............. - nick1975
advertise the honda on here - i'm sure someone will been interested
Well, I have had the car just about 2 weeks now and about 700 miles covered in that time. My accord would give me about 28 MPG at the moment, the Rover has just returned 44 MPG mixed urban and motorway over the last tank filled brim to brim. 16 MPG increase I can live with :o)
To Change Or............. - LinuxGeek
I know a guy who runs his own taxi firm and they've got a Rover 75 diesel and the last time I looked at it, it had 335k miles on it. Its used by their drivers and you could imagine how well its looked after (if at all) but its still going strong!