1998 1.5D Steam coming from bonnet in rain - clara211
Hi
On my way into work this morning I had steam coming from my bonnet. I had driven about 5 miles at a reasonable speed when I had to stop in a traffic jam. I'd only been queueing/crawling for about 3-4 minutes when i noticed steam coming from my bonnet. It started off as not a lot but over the next few minutes more and more was coming off. Once the traffic freed and I could get going again it was fine. Whn I touched the bonnet at work (about an extra 4 minute drive) after this time it was stone cold. I've checked the water / antifreeze and the levels are fine. Do you have any other ideas what could be wrong? It shouldn't get this hot this quickly should it?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/01/2008 at 10:12

106 1.5D Steam coming from bonnet in rain - DP
This is normal. The Mondeo and Renault both do it. My guess it that it's the rain evaporating on the hot radiator and coming through the grille.

Your breath leaves vapour on these kinds of mornings, and that's at less than 40°C. The radiator in traffic will be at nearly 3x that.

Cheers
DP
106 1.5D Steam coming from bonnet in rain - 659FBE
Radiator leak - the OE radiators are useless on these cars. Keep a sharp eye on the coolant level otherwise it could cost you an engine.

The best replacements are made by Nissens available from GSF. They can be identified by having a galvanised (silver coloured) core rather than the usual black. Don't neglect the cooling system on these cars - use OE antifreeze - and vent it properly when you have finished.

Edited by 659FBE on 15/01/2008 at 11:38

106 1.5D Steam coming from bonnet in rain - clara211
I have now noticed there seems to be a wet patch just behind my drivers wheel when I leave it over night or during the day at work. Would the two be related? There's obviously a leak of some sort somewhere, any idea what this could be and how much it would be to fix?
106 1.5D Steam coming from bonnet in rain - Altea Ego
Possibly not a leak, it could be the drain tubes from the sun roof or the plenum (the area around the wiper motor). On most cars these drain to behind the front wheels.

However the key test is to keep a very close eye on the engine coolant level. Check the expansion bottle daily - mark the level if required.
106 1.5D Steam coming from bonnet in rain - L'escargot
a wet patch just behind my drivers
wheel when I leave it .........

It could be just water draining from the aircon unit, and therefore normal and nothing to worry about. Stop using the aircon for a few days and see whether the wet patch disappears.
1998 1.5D Steam coming from bonnet in rain - Victorbox
I had this with a pinhole leak in the radiator. On cool damp days steam would waft from under the bonnet in traffic and make you think you were on fire!