Fabia 2 Estate - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
After owning eight generally reliable, well built and comfortable VW's am thinking of getting rid of the old 2001 Passat Estate S PD (6 yo and 106k). Well actually SWMBO said I can.
I want to buy new - yes -I have been through the almost new route in the past with some niggles.Having read the enthusiastic Autocar write up I have been checking the Skoda on -line brochure.
I was also taken with a Roomster when I saw one earlier this year.Thinking of the 3 cylinder 80hp diesel as a gesture to reducing my personal emission levels!
So- initial budget of around £13,000 and I guess the trade in for the VW will be pretty low.
Any other suggestions for a versatile ,comfortable and reasonably economical - but new-vehicle?
Fabia 2 Estate - Pugugly {P}
Roomster ! Cracking motor !
PU what engine is in yours?
Will do a back to back check at the dealers against the Estate.Thanks.
Fabia 2 Estate - Pugugly {P}
1.9 diesel. I got mine for just less than 13k (its a Scout) as an ex-demo car that was 2k miles and nearly three months old. All in all its fine. Plenty of room in the front - and truly capacious in the back. It doesn't hang around either, its handling is very sharp considering its intended uses, ride is ok on the standard 16". If you have a look at the Briskoda website plenty of analyses on the Roomster forum. I keep comparing it mentally and here with my old 535d, which isn't fair on what is a very competent little motor. The only thing another "Roomie" driver waved at me the other day.....not sure I like that. :-)

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 13/01/2008 at 13:51

Fabia 2 Estate - Alby Back
Just curious, but is it true that you get a free black and white cat with Roomsters ? ;-)
Fabia 2 Estate - oilrag
" 3 cylinder"

Had the 75 BHP version in a Lupo TDi and it was dead in the water at under 2,300 revs

4 Cylinder, max torque, 1,750 revs

( Possibly a cheap way to make an engine though, seemingly lopping a cylinder of a bigger job, rather than designing a small capacity 4 cylinder by total miniturisation of all the components)

Regards
Fabia 2 Estate - b308
Would agree re the engines - I had a 1.9TDi Skoda Fabia Estate for 6 years and have just changed it for the 1.4TDi Bohemia - the 1.4 is rougher (not surprisingly in view of the 3 cylinders) and hasn't much grunt between 1500 and 2000rpm, the 1.9 is far better - above 2k its ok though.

I am considering getting a remap done to try to get some power below 2000rpm - I'm not really interested in massive power hikes, just smoother delivery at the lower end.

I really like the look of the estate version of the new Fabia and in a few years will no doubt change over to it, though I'm undecided on the engine as yet - the 1.9 is very tempting even if it costs more to run - incidentally I'm getting top 50s on my commuter runs with the 1.4, the 1.9 did mid 50s so not all that much difference.
Fabia 2 Estate - bimmer-driver
I've got the 1.4 tdi 80 in my Ibiza and agree theres not much there below 2000rpm. Its a bit rattly at idle, but once going its very smooth and revs really freely. Plus it sounds quite good ( for a diesel!). Cheap to run too.
Thanks for the feed back.
Does the three cylinder diesel engine have a chain driven cam like the petrol ones?
Fabia 2 Estate - Gromit {P}
GWS: "...a chain driven cam like the petrol ones"

Be careful! Not all Skoda petrol engines are chain cam! Those derived from the old Felicia 1.3 unit are, those from the Golf 1.4/1.6 aren't (as Gromit Snr found to his cost when the belt tensioner on his 3yo 34K 1.6 Octavia let go doing ?1,000 worth of damage!), so double check the model you're interested in.

To Shoespy: black and white cats are a cost option, and running costs can be high ;-)
Fabia 2 Estate - bimmer-driver
Only the 1.2 3 cyl is chain. All the rest are belt on 4yr/ 60000 mile change intervals.
That would tie in with the 60000 mile limit on the warranty then!
Thanks.