2001 1.4s - Gearbox Noise - Obiter Dicta
My 2001 Y reg 1.4s Civic is making a whirring noise which the Honda garage has diagnosed a coming from the gearbox. The oil level has been checked and is OK. The car has done 66000 miles with a full Honda service history. I have been quoted almost £2000 for a new gearbox and clutch replacement. Should the gearbox have lasted longer than this and can anyone advise on alternatives to the Honda solution,

Edited by Webmaster on 05/01/2008 at 14:43

2001 1.4s - Gearbox Noise - elekie&a/c doctor
It is not unknown for these gearboxes to give trouble.Usual problems are worn/noisy bearings and gear selector fork problems.A new gearbox at 66k sounds crazy to me especially on a Honda.However these are repairable outside of the main dealer network if Honda not interested in helping you.hth
2001 1.4s - Gearbox Noise - Falkirk Bairn
Get an Indie top look at it - a stripdown investigation and replacement of parts will cost hundreds not thousands. Alternative is the scrappy.

£2000 on a gearbox on a 7 yr old car........... tell the main dealer top take a run & jump
2001 1.4s - Gearbox Noise - Obiter Dicta
Thankyou all for your prompt replies and advice. I will do some research ref other gearbox solutions
2001 1.4s - Gearbox Noise - alekos
Hello I have the same problem. I have a 1.4 civic 52 reg. with 68000miles and I have been told from Honda that they need to investigate the gearbox as the noise that I can hear on the first gear is from the bearings. Honda quotes me approximately 650 to 700 pounds. A lot of money, if someone think that Japanese cars are reliable. I don't understand what can cause this problem. It seams that a lot of people have the same problem. Is this Honda?s fault? Can I claim anything from Honda?
2001 1.4s - Gearbox Noise - pantherag
Probably their fault but proving it would be the hard part and the cars are out of warranty so they're not obligated to pay up. Everyone who goes to them seems to get the same old story "never heard of that before" "you're the first". Maybe that's the case, maybe it isn't.

Our 2001 Civic has the same bearings fault. Been "fixed" and quickly developed the problem again. I'm not at all impressed with this car, the quality just isn't there.
2001 1.4s - Gearbox Noise - svx man
Did you find anyone who could fix your gearbox at a reasonable price?