TALEX speed camera detection systems. Best buy? - Tron
Seen this system 'TALEX' named on this forum in another thread.

A few of you said that you use such devices.

This is new technology to me!

I ask those more knowledgeable to elaborate as in: What devices (manufacturer) do you use, plain simple and easy to use and who was the supplier please?

Is this viable technology?

Would you also provide a link and the contact details of your supplier too please.

Found this compnay on line: www.speedcameralocator.com/promo/

Anyone heard of or had any dealings with them?

I called and spoke to their office. The guy on other end of phone just was not as familiar with the product as I would have liked him to have been.

Just offered me a 30 day money back agreement if I was not happy with the product?

Good sales patter eh?!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 04/01/2008 at 12:48

TALEX systems. Best buy? - Dynamic Dave
I use an Inforad V1. Cost me £30 from what was Dixons (Now Currys.digital) They were selling them off cheap as the V3 was launched.

£24.99 for 1 yrs subscription for updates (first year came free as part of the £30 buying price)
Something like £49.99 for either a 3 year or lifetime subscription (can't remember), but non transferable if the device breaks and you have to buy a new one.

www.inforadgps.co.uk/

TALEX systems. Best buy? - Aprilia
I have used a Talex for several years and find it to be excellent.

The company that made the Talex (Embedded Technology) have gone bust and all rights seem to have been acquired by Novus Systems (www.novusgps.com/ ) {added a space so the link will work - DD} who still sell the units, but under a different model name. Novus now offer free lifetime updates for the Talex (new and old users alike).

The Talex Lite (which is very similar to the Talex) is still available from Tesco.com for about £70 and I think was/is sold in Aldi for about £60. Plus of course you see them on Ebay.
For what the Lite costs I would definitely buy one. Its fast to lock and idiot proof in use.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/01/2008 at 13:45

TALEX systems. Best buy? - retgwte
talex i think dont work with vista, so depends what PC operating system ur going to use for getting updates from web, if it dont keep up with the newer operating systems that come from microsoft it will go obsolete that way

price difference with a proper decent GPS nav system is too low now, you may as well get a proper sat nav with these features built in

TALEX systems. Best buy? - Aprilia
price difference with a proper decent GPS nav system is too low now you may
as well get a proper sat nav with these features built in

I disagree. I have used sat-nav for about four years (various different ones, but settling on TomTom). I can download camera sites etc for TomTom but its a bit of pain to use. My Talex is wired into the car via an accessory socket and just comes on with the ignition, no screen to tap etc. Just jump in the car and go. It also gives clear spoken warnings and also speaks the limit - e.g. "mobile camera site - limit 30mph". It also gives me a spoken warning if I go more than about 2mph over the limit - I don't have to look at it. The database is also very good.
If you can get one for £70 then with free lifetime updates is a bargain IMHO.
To update I just hook up to computer and download. Don't know if it works with Vista - it needs USB drivers, that's all. You cuold try the drivers by going to the Novus site I listed above.
TALEX systems. Best buy? - Niallster
I have an Inforad V1 same as Dave's. Cost me £15 off Ebay with one year updates free. Now coming to the end of my free year so will probably try to buy another new one off Ebay as its cheaper than the annual update cost.

Its just a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes, plugs in the cigarette socket, had a usb port for net updates. As basic as basic can be but its all I need.

TALEX systems. Best buy? - midlifecrisis
Am I right in thinking my heat reflective windscreen will stop these receiving gps signals. I'd like one but don't want an external aerial.
TALEX systems. Best buy? - retgwte
depends what u mean by heat reflective

ive got one in a car with heated glass windscreen, my temp car at the mo, and its working fine through that

TALEX systems. Best buy? - oilrag
However good the speed camera only systems are, it seems to me they are on borrowed time now that combined camera detector/Sat Navs are available for just over £100.

Edited by oilrag on 05/01/2008 at 07:56

TALEX systems. Best buy? - Dynamic Dave
it seems to me they are on borrowed time .....

Unless like me you have a built in factory fit sat nav system that cannot be configured to show cameras as 'points of interest'.
TALEX systems. Best buy? - oilrag
Sorry DD, I meant that for such a system to remain commercially viable with the subscription base that`s surely largely switching to to combined Sat Nav/camera POI units?

Wonder if anyone`s thought of making a small Sat Nav unit that could be switchable and just give camera alerts, when required?
TALEX systems. Best buy? - midlifecrisis
"depends what u mean by heat reflective

ive got one in a car with heated glass windscreen, my temp car at the mo, and its working fine through that"

My 407 Coupe has got heat reflective glass (not heating elements in the glass). Apparently this can cause problems with the antennas. True or false?
TALEX systems. Best buy? - Mr Fox
I have one, and it seems to be excellent, the reason I got this, is because my car has a factory fitted sat-nav and so there was no need to buy another one.

Plus I got it off Ebay for about 35 Quid.

Does anyone know whether you could buy an updated DVD for the Toyota Sat Nav, that has speed camera information in it ?
TALEX systems. Best buy? - DSLRed
My 407 Coupe has got heat reflective glass (not heating elements in the glass). Apparently
this can cause problems with the antennas. True or false?

True - I have a Cit C5 which has the same heat reflective windscreen as the 407. A few years ago I bought a Drivesmart system to do the same job as a Talex, and placing the antenna / receiver on the dash or in the bottom corner of the windscreen resulted in virtually no signal.

There is always a small section of the screen that is not covered though, it seems - on mine it is the shaded area in the top centre of the screen, behind the rear view mirror.

I needed an antennae with an extra long wire, so I could feed it all the way round the windscreen, tucking the wire under the small gap between screen and interior roof trim, before fixing the antennae to the w/s using a sucker thingy. It was supplied by Drivesmart f.o.c. when I complained about my lack of signal (I had put the question to them directly before buying), and it works ok.