DCI /SVE/ Hatchback - Any Good ? - gegsy32
Hi. I have a budget of £6500 to spend and toying with the Nissan Primera. Looking at model that is a 2004 onwards with a low to medium mileage. The question is : are they any good? They seem to have a good spec, but unsure of handling and power. I want something with decent handling and a bit of poke. Any alternative suggestions? Any help would be great! Thanks

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 03/01/2008 at 23:23

DCI /SVE/ Hatchback - Any Good ? - Pugugly {P}
Have you checked out HJ's Car by car Breakdown like over there --------------->

or

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=525&
DCI /SVE/ Hatchback - Any Good ? - Jase
Hello gegsy32,

They are a Renault derived 2.2 with @ 138BHP / 236 lbft and hooked up to a 6 speed box.

I had one of these and personally I didn't rate it. Turbo blew up which cost a fortune and is not uncommon with these (do a search). I also thought it was tinny in a way that all previous Nissans I've been in are not. The Renault tie up is not a good thing for Nissan in my opinion in terms of quality. SVE has toys though if you like them.

TBH if I was looking at a diesel family hatch I'd go and find a Mondeo TDCi, or if you want to avoid potentially high bills get a 2.0 petrol.

Alternatives - I swapped the Nissan for a CMax Ghia 2.0TDCi and everything about it is better than the Primera. Miles better.

Sorry to pan the Renault era Primera. Series I II and III Primeras (proper Nissans) are much better.

DCI /SVE/ Hatchback - Any Good ? - v0n
They are a Renault derived 2.2 with @ 138BHP / 236 lbft and hooked up
to a 6 speed box.

They are not. Despite dCi label the YD22 engine was Nissan's own design, evolution of their Di range...

Edited by v0n on 04/01/2008 at 09:51

DCI /SVE/ Hatchback - Any Good ? - gegsy32
I take it the best bet is to go for the updated version from march 2004 onwards? Do many go to auction? Any sites/companys sell them pretty cheap? Thanks.
DCI /SVE/ Hatchback - Any Good ? - RichardW
My mate's 2004 estate is going back to the lease company at the end of the month. 105k in 3 years with no trouble (apart from the handbrake letting go one night and it knocking a hole in a dry stone wall...!). The engine is a bit rough and only gives 40 mpg, but it's got plenty of grunt.

Screwloose said the other day that making long lasting cam chains was proving tough, and I thought when I heard it the other day the chain was rattling a fair bit at cold start.....
DCI /SVE/ Hatchback - Any Good ? - jase1
> Screwloose said the other day that making long lasting cam chains was proving tough

So that'll be why I know a number of cab drivers who took Primera II and IIIs up to 250-300K+ without cam-chain replacement...

These engines may not be 100% Renault design, but there is Renault input, they are nowhere near as reliable as the previous Di and I personally would not touch one with a 100-ft pole. And I'm a Nissan fan.
DCI /SVE/ Hatchback - Any Good ? - Collos25
Renault had nothing whats soever to do with the engines or the rest of the car come to that ,common faults are a PAS hose leaking cheap to do but a sod to get at and a metal plate snapping that holds the gearchange cables on the top of the gearbox.Very straight forward cars easy to repair and loads better than the previous model to own and run try them both then you will see the enormous difference,make sure you get the SVE as it has the sat nav as standard.